Informatics Nurses Society of the Philippines or iNurse SP is a Nursing Informatics Organization that serves as your portal to get involved with real life practices on information and communications technology applied in nursing education, research, service and administration.
The group is currently led by Dr. Annabelle Borromeo of SLMC-GC, Mark Donald Renosa of RITM, John Faustorilla of World Bank and UP Manila, Calixto Trillanes III of The Big Leap and Joel Job Belen of SLMC-QC.
The American Nurses Association defined nursing informatics as a specialty that integrates nursing science, computer science and information science to manage and communicate data, information and knowledge in nursing practice. We can consider NI or nursing informatics as a multifaceted interdisciplinary field of nursing science. Information integrity and ensuring the safety of data transmission is an essential part, not only in nursing, but also, in the field of information and communications technology (ICT). And with the progressive integration of ICT concepts and protocols in the practice of nursing, whether in the clinical, academe or research, nurses should be prepared to become globally competitive healthcare professionals.
In the Philippines, the Informatics Nurses Society of the Philippines has been leading in the development and advancement of nursing informatics through local and international linkages and collaboration.
Pursuant to CHED Memorandum 14 series of 2009, otherwise known as Policies and Standards for Bachelor of Science in Nursing [BSN] Program, Nursing schools across the country has been implementing the course Informatics. However, there is a need to standardize the contents of the course being implemented by nursing schools. Theoretical concepts and practical applications should be aligned so that it may be applicable to the Philippine setting. In this regard, the concept of nursing informatics needs to be concretized in the Nursing curriculum so that trained faculty members and instructors in the Colleges of Nursing appropriately handle both the lecture and laboratory component of the course. More so, nursing informatics need to be integrated to the realms of nursing education, practice and research. Thus, PMIS-NI is created to translate these ideas into reality.
Mission, Vision, Objectives of the iNurse SP
The Informatics Nurses Soc. of the Philippines (iNurse SP), Inc envisions itself to be the lead organization in promoting a culture of excellence among its members through nursing informatics applied to nursing education, research and practice dedicated towards paying forward to the society.
iNurse SP aims to create a community of nurse informaticists and leaders dedicated to produce scholarly works and meet nurse informatics competencies across levels of nursing expertise while advocating nursing informatics in their own fields of education, research and practice to create outputs designed to engage towards capacity building of communities.
- To be the premier membership and peer communication organization in nursing informatics in the Philippines.
- To be the lead organization in promoting and advocating for nursing informatics in the fields of nursing education, research, practice and other advanced nursing specialties and certification.
- To advance the field of nursing informatics in the Philippines by fostering innovation and scientific exchange, educating professionals and the public, and influencing decision and policy makers regarding the use of information in healthcare in general, and nursing, in particular.
- To recommend the appropriate standards used in nursing informatics across the Philippines in the fields of nursing education, research and practice.
- To build health care informatics competencies among nursing leaders in the country to support their need to integrate computer science, information science and nursing science in their respective fields of expertise.
- To widen the community of practice by which nursing informatics may be applicable.
Membership & Links
If you want to become a member of the Informatics Nurses Society of the Philippines, fill-up the form that can be found here.