Radiation Safety Course for Health Professionals
November 23-24, 2012 (Friday and Saturday)
Philippine General Hospital
This is an introductory level course in the fundamentals of radiation safety for hospital employees who receive, or might receive a healthcare-related occupational radiation exposure. At the end of the course, participants will have gained an understanding of the hazards associated with the use of radiation in the hospital setting. The lectures and demonstration sessions will provide participants with the knowledge necessary to minimize exposure to radiation.
The course is composed of lectures and demonstration sessions. Topics covered include:
- Basic concepts and terminology in radiation physics
- Biological effects of ionizing radiation and risk estimates
- Radiation detection and measurement
- Principles of radiation protection
- Storage and handling of radioactive sources
- Personal dose measurement and monitoring
- Safe ward procedures including nursing care and discharging of patients
- Emergency procedures
- Current regulations and codes of safe practice
- Duties and responsibilities of the Radiation Safety Officer Basic
- Principles and Practice of Extended Beam Radiation Therapy
- Basic Principles and Practice of Brachytherapy Radiation therapy using unsealed radionuclide sources
- Diagnostic procedures in nuclear medicine Workshops
The course is a joint project of the University of the Philippines Manila – Philippine General Hospital – National Graduate Office in Health Sciences in collaboration with the Cancer Institute Foundation for the Department of Internal Medicine Section of Nuclear Medicine, Department of Radiology Section of Radiation Oncology, and the Nursing Services for the Cancer Institute
The course faculty have extensive experience in handling radioactive materials and skilled in the practical applications of radiation protection. The teaching staff will include representatives from the government atomic energy agency, medical specialists in nuclear medicine and radiotherapy, radiation safety officers and medical physicists.
This course is designed for medical personnel who work with patients who have radioactive implants or have been administered therapeutic quantities of radioactive materials. It is intended to contribute to professional development and will appeal to workers wishing to extend their areas of expertise.
Early-bird: (On or before November 9, 2012) P 2500.00 (P 2000.00 for UP-PGH employees) On-site registration:P 3000.00 (P 2500.00 for UP-PGH employees) Registration fee, inclusive of kit, certificate, snacks and lunch: NOTE: LIMITED SLOTS ONLY
1) Cash: Visit us at: Room 114, Cancer Institute Building, Philippine General Hospital 2) Bank Account: Bank of the Philippines Islands Account Name: Cancer Institute Foundation Account Number: 4985801792 Send e-mail with a scanned or photographed image of your receipt to confirm your deposit to the email below with the subject: Radiation Safety Course Payment 3) Website Registration site: Radiation Safety Course for Health Professionals Registration For more information, contact: Nurse Paul / Nurse Rois firstname.lastname@example.org (Subject: Radiation Safety Course Inquiry) 567-4274 / 353-7123