Risk factors may include
- Inadequate primary defenses; perforation/rupture of the appendix; peritonitis; abscess formation
- Invasive procedures, surgical incision
- Achieve timely wound healing; free of signs of infection/inflammation, purulent drainage, erythema, and fever.
- Prevent complications.
- Promote comfort.
- Provide information about surgical procedure/prognosis, treatment needs, and potential complications.
- Complications prevented/minimized.
- Pain alleviated/controlled.
- Surgical procedure/prognosis, therapeutic regimen, and possible complications understood.
- Plan in place to meet needs after discharge.
- Acute Pain — Appendectomy Nursing Care Plan (NCP)
- Risk for Deficient Fluid Volume — Appendectomy Nursing Care Plan (NCP)
- Risk for Infection — Appendectomy Nursing Care Plan (NCP)
- Knowledge Deficit — Appendectomy Nursing Care Plan (NCP)
Risk for Infection — Appendectomy Nursing Care Plan (NCP)
|Practice/instruct in good handwashing and aseptic wound care. Encourage/provide perineal care.||Reduces risk of spread of bacteria.|
|Inspect incision and dressings. Note characteristics of drainage from wound/drains (if inserted), presence of erythema.||Provides for early detection of developing infectious process, and/or monitors resolution of preexisting peritonitis.|
|Monitor vital signs. Note onset of fever, chills, diaphoresis, changes in mentation, reports of increasing abdominal pain.||Suggestive of presence of infection/developing sepsis, abscess, peritonitis.|
|Obtain drainage specimens if indicated.||Gram’s stain, culture, and sensitivity testing isuseful in identifying causative organism and choice of therapy.|
|Administer antibiotics as appropriate.||Antibiotics given before appendectomy are primarily for prophylaxis of wound infection and are not continued postoperatively. Therapeutic antibiotics are administered if the appendix is ruptured/abscessed or peritonitis has developed.|
|Prepare for/assist with incision and drainage (I&D) if indicated.||May be necessary to drain contents of localized abscess.|
appenectomy risk for deficient fluid volume related to, nandas for pre op appendicitis, desired goals for risk for infection, ncp post appendictomy, nursing care plan for acute infection, nursing care plan for appendicitis risk for infection, nursing care plan for infection appendicitis