Chronic renal failure (CRF) or chronic kidney disease (CKD) is the end result of a gradual, progressive loss of kidney function. The loss of function may be so slow that you do not have symptoms until your kidneys have almost stopped working.
The final stage of chronic kidney disease is called end-stage renal disease (ESRD). At this stage, the kidneys are no longer able to remove enough wastes and excess fluids from the body. At this point, you would need dialysis or a kidney transplant.
Nursing Care Plans
The nursing care planning goal for with chronic renal failure is to prevent further complications and supportive care. Client education is also critical as this is a chronic disease and thus requires long-term treatment.
- Risk for Decreased Cardiac Output
- Risk for Ineffective Protection
- Disturbed Thought Process
- Risk for Impaired Skin Integrity
- Risk for Impaired Oral Mucous Membrane
- Deficient Knowledge
- Excess Fluid Volume
- Acute Pain
- Impaired Renal Tissue Perfusion
- Impaired Urinary Elimination
- Imbalanced Nutrition: Less than Body Requirements
- NEW Activity Intolerance
- NEW Disturbed Body Image
- NEW Anticipatory Grieving
- NEW Risk for Infection
- NEW Risk for Injury
- Other Possible Nursing Care Plans
Disturbed Body Image
May be related to
- Biophysical and psychosocial factors
Possibly evidenced by
- Verbal and nonverbal responses to change in body appearance, disruptions in school attendance and engagement in school activities and socialization
- Negative feelings about own body, multiple stressors, and change in daily living
- Severe growth retardation (in height and weight); dry skin, facial puffiness
- Client will verbalize positive feelings about self.
|Assess child for feelings about skills, long-term illness, struggle in school and social situations, short stature, inability to keep up with peers.||Provides information about the state of self-concept and special needs.|
|Allow expression of feelings and concerns and assist with open communication to parents, teachers, and peers.||Provides an opportunity to release feelings and decrease ill feelings about the change in appearance.|
|Give importance to positive activities and|
achievements, refrain from any negative judgments.
|Promotes positive body image, confidence, self-esteem.|
|Support parents to be adaptive in the care of the child and to consolidate care and routines into family routines.||Promotes the well-being of the child and a sense of belonging.|
|Educate parents to maintain support for the child.||Encourages acceptance of the child with special needs (dialysis, dietary needs, urinary device, medications).|
|Educate child and parents about dietary|
selections which can be tolerated while dining with peers.
|Promotes social interactions with friends within limitations imposed by the disease.|
Recommended nursing diagnosis and nursing care plan books and resources.
- Nursing Care Plans: Nursing Diagnosis and Intervention (10th Edition)
An awesome book to help you create and customize effective nursing care plans. We highly recommend this book for its completeness and ease of use.
- Nurse’s Pocket Guide: Diagnoses, Prioritized Interventions and Rationales
A quick-reference tool to easily select the appropriate nursing diagnosis to plan your patient’s care effectively.
- NANDA International Nursing Diagnoses: Definitions & Classification, 2021-2023 (12th Edition)
The official and definitive guide to nursing diagnoses as reviewed and approved by the NANDA-I. This book focuses on the nursing diagnostic labels, their defining characteristics, and risk factors – this does not include nursing interventions and rationales.
- Nursing Diagnosis Handbook, 12th Edition Revised Reprint with 2021-2023 NANDA-I® Updates
Another great nursing care plan resource that is updated to include the recent NANDA-I updates.
- Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders, Fifth Edition (DSM-5(TM))
Useful for creating nursing care plans related to mental health and psychiatric nursing.
- Ulrich & Canale’s Nursing Care Planning Guides, 8th Edition
Claims to have the most in-depth care plans of any nursing care planning book. Includes 31 detailed nursing diagnosis care plans and 63 disease/disorder care plans.
- Maternal Newborn Nursing Care Plans (3rd Edition)
If you’re looking for specific care plans related to maternal and newborn nursing care, this book is for you.
- Nursing Diagnosis Manual: Planning, Individualizing, and Documenting Client Care (7th Edition)
An easy-to-use nursing care plan book that is updated with the latest diagnosis from NANDA-I 2021-2023.
- All-in-One Nursing Care Planning Resource: Medical-Surgical, Pediatric, Maternity, and Psychiatric-Mental Health (5th Edition)
Definitely an all-in-one resources for nursing care planning. It has over 100 care plans for different nursing topics.
Other recommended site resources for this nursing care plan:
- Nursing Care Plans (NCP): Ultimate Guide and Database
Over 150+ nursing care plans for different diseases and conditions. Includes our easy-to-follow guide on how to create nursing care plans from scratch.
- Nursing Diagnosis Guide and List: All You Need to Know to Master Diagnosing
Our comprehensive guide on how to create and write diagnostic labels. Includes detailed nursing care plan guides for common nursing diagnostic labels.
Other care plans and nursing diagnoses related to reproductive and urinary system disorders:
- Acute Glomerulonephritis | 4 Care Plans
- Acute Renal Failure | 6 Care Plans
- Benign Prostatic Hyperplasia (BPH) | 5 Care Plans
- Chronic Renal Failure | 11 Care Plans
- Hemodialysis | 3 Care Plans
- Hysterectomy (TAHBSO) | 6 Care Plans
- Mastectomy | 14+ Care Plans
- Menopause | 6 Care Plans
- Nephrotic Syndrome | 5 Care Plans
- Peritoneal Dialysis | 6 Care Plans
- Prostatectomy | 6 Care Plans
- Urolithiasis (Renal Calculi) | 4 Care Plans
- Urinary Tract Infection | 4 Care Plans
- Vesicoureteral Reflux (VUR) | 5 Care Plans