Hyperthyroidism, also known as Grave’s disease, Basedow’s disease, or thyrotoxicosis is a metabolic imbalance that results from overproduction of thyroid hormones triiodothyronine (T3) and thyroxine (T4). The most common form is Graves’ disease, but other forms of hyperthyroidism include toxic adenoma, TSH-secreting pituitary tumor, subacute or silent thyroiditis, and some forms of thyroid cancer.
Thyroid storm is a rarely encountered manifestation of hyperthyroidism that can be precipitated by such events as thyroid ablation (surgical or radioiodine), medication overdosage, and trauma. This condition constitutes a medical emergency.
Nursing Care Plans
Nursing care management for patients with hyperthyroidism requires vigilant care to prevent acute exacerbations and complications.
- Risk for Decreased Cardiac Output
- Risk for Disturbed Thought Processes
- Risk for Imbalanced Nutrition: Less Than Body Requirements
- Risk for Impaired Tissue Integrity
- Deficient Knowledge
- Other Possible Nursing Care Plans
Other Possible Nursing Care Plans
Other nursing diagnoses for hyperthyroidism you can develop into a care plan:
- Imbalanced Nutrition: Less Than Body Requirements —may be related intake less than metabolic needs secondary to excessive metabolic rate.
- Risk for Injury —related to tremors.
- Risk for Hyperthermia —may be related to lack of metabolic compensatory mechanisms secondary to hyperthyroidism.
- Activity Intolerance —may be related to fatigue, exhaustion secondary to excessive metabolic rate.
- Diarrhea —may be related to increased peristalsis secondary to excessive metabolic rate.
- Impaired Comfort —may be related to heat intolerance and profuse diaphoresis.
- Risk for Impaired Tissue Integrity: Corneal —may be related to the inability to close eyelids secondary to exophthalmos.
- Risk for Ineffective Therapeutic Regimen Management—may be related to insufficient knowledge of condition, treatment regimen, pharmacologic therapy, eye care, dietary management, and signs and symptoms of complication.
You may also like the following posts and care plans:
- Nursing Care Plan: The Ultimate Guide and Database – the ultimate database of nursing care plans for different diseases and conditions! Get the complete list!
- Nursing Diagnosis: The Complete Guide and List – archive of different nursing diagnoses with their definition, related factors, goals and nursing interventions with rationale.
Endocrine and Metabolic Care Plans
Nursing care plans related to the endocrine system and metabolism:
- Acid-Base Balance
- - Respiratory Acidosis Nursing Care Plan
- - Respiratory Alkalosis Nursing Care Plan
- - Metabolic Acidosis Nursing Care Plan
- - Metabolic Alkalosis Nursing Care Plan
- Addison's Disease | 3 Care Plans
- Cushing’s Disease | 6 Care Plans
- Diabetes Mellitus Type 1 (Juvenile Diabetes) | 4 Care Plans
- Diabetes Mellitus Type 2 | 13+ Care Plans
- Diabetic Ketoacidosis (DKA) and Hyperglycemic Hyperosmolar Nonketotic Syndrome (HHNS) | 4 Care Plans
- Eating Disorders: Anorexia & Bulimia Nervosa | 7 Care Plans
- Fluid and Electrolyte Imbalances | 10 Care Plans
- - Fluid Balance: Hypervolemia & Hypovolemia
- - Potassium (K) Imbalances: Hyperkalemia and Hypokalemia
- - Sodium (Na) Imbalances: Hypernatremia and Hyponatremia
- - Magnesium (Mg) Imbalances: Hypermagnesemia and Hypomagnesemia
- - Calcium (Ca) Imbalances: Hypercalcemia and Hypocalcemia
- Gestational Diabetes Mellitus | 4 Care Plans
- Hyperthyroidism | 7 Care Plans
- Hypothyroidism | 3 Care Plans
- Obesity | 4 Care Plans
- Thyroidectomy | 5 Care Plans