Mastectomy is the surgical removal of one or both breasts either partially or completely. A mastectomy is usually carried out to treat or prevent breast cancer. Surgical management for patients with breast cancer usually involves lumpectomy or mastectomy. In many cases, radiation therapy is combined with surgery.
Types of breast surgery include:
- Total (simple) mastectomy – removal of breast tissue and nipple
- Modified radical mastectomy – removal of the breast, most of the lymph nodes under the arm, and often the lining over the chest muscles
- Lumpectomy – surgery to remove the tumor and a small amount of normal tissue around it
Nursing Care Plans
Providing perioperative nursing care for patients who are to undergo Mastectomy is an integral part of the therapeutic regimen. The nursing goal is to provide support, alleviating anxiety, managing pain, and providing information.
- Impaired Skin Integrity
- Acute Pain
- Situational Low Self-Esteem
- Impaired Physical Mobility
- Deficient Knowledge
- Risk for Injury
- Impaired Skin Integrity
- Activity Intolerance
- Risk for Ineffective Breathing Pattern
- Risk for Infection
- Ineffective Therapeutic Management
- Risk for Dysfunctional Grieving
- Ineffective Peripheral Tissue Perfusion
- Other Possible Nursing Care Plans
Fear is a strong and unpleasant emotion caused by the awareness or anticipation of pain or danger. This emotion is primarily externally motivated and source-specific, that is the individual experiencing the fear can identify the person, place or thing precipitating this feeling. The factors that precipitate fear are, to some extent, universal, fear of death, pair and bodily injury or defect are common to most people.
Patient may manifest:
- Client will demonstrate understanding through the use of effective coping behaviors and resources.
- Client will display appropriate range of feelings and lessened fear.
|Determine what the patient is fearful of by careful and thoughtful questioning||A patient who finds it unacceptable to express fear may find it helpful to know that someone is willing to listen if they decide to share their feelings at sometimes in the future.|
|Compare verbal and nonverbal responses||To note congruences or misperceptions of the situation.|
|Assess the degree of fear and the measures the patient uses to cope with that fear||This helps determine the effectiveness of coping strategies used by the pt.|
|Document behavioral and verbal expressions of fear||Physiologic symptoms and complaints will intensify as the level of fear increases.|
|Determine to what degree the patient’s fears may be affecting his/her ability to perform ADL||Persistent, immobilizing fears may require treatment with anti-anxiety medications.|
|Maintain a calm and tolerant manner while interacting with the patient||The patient’s feeling of stability increases in a calm and non-threatening atmosphere and ongoing relationship establishes trust and a basis for communicating fearful feelings.|
|Establish a working relationship through continuity of care||If the home environment is unsafe, the patient’s fears are not resolved and fear may become disabling.|
|Provide safety measure within the home when indicated||Recognition and explanation of factors leading to fear are significant in developing alternative responses.|
|As patient fear subsides, encourage him/her to explore specific events preceding the onset of fear||Rest improves the ability to cope.|
|Exercises in relaxation, meditation, or guided imagery||Exercise reduces the physiological response to fear|
Recommended nursing diagnosis and nursing care plan books and resources.
- Nursing Care Plans: Nursing Diagnosis and Intervention (10th Edition)
An awesome book to help you create and customize effective nursing care plans. We highly recommend this book for its completeness and ease of use.
- Nurse’s Pocket Guide: Diagnoses, Prioritized Interventions and Rationales
A quick-reference tool to easily select the appropriate nursing diagnosis to plan your patient’s care effectively.
- NANDA International Nursing Diagnoses: Definitions & Classification, 2021-2023 (12th Edition)
The official and definitive guide to nursing diagnoses as reviewed and approved by the NANDA-I. This book focuses on the nursing diagnostic labels, their defining characteristics, and risk factors – this does not include nursing interventions and rationales.
- Nursing Diagnosis Handbook, 12th Edition Revised Reprint with 2021-2023 NANDA-I® Updates
Another great nursing care plan resource that is updated to include the recent NANDA-I updates.
- Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders, Fifth Edition (DSM-5(TM))
Useful for creating nursing care plans related to mental health and psychiatric nursing.
- Ulrich & Canale’s Nursing Care Planning Guides, 8th Edition
Claims to have the most in-depth care plans of any nursing care planning book. Includes 31 detailed nursing diagnosis care plans and 63 disease/disorder care plans.
- Maternal Newborn Nursing Care Plans (3rd Edition)
If you’re looking for specific care plans related to maternal and newborn nursing care, this book is for you.
- Nursing Diagnosis Manual: Planning, Individualizing, and Documenting Client Care (7th Edition)
An easy-to-use nursing care plan book that is updated with the latest diagnosis from NANDA-I 2021-2023.
- All-in-One Nursing Care Planning Resource: Medical-Surgical, Pediatric, Maternity, and Psychiatric-Mental Health (5th Edition)
Definitely an all-in-one resources for nursing care planning. It has over 100 care plans for different nursing topics.
Other recommended site resources for this nursing care plan:
- Nursing Care Plans (NCP): Ultimate Guide and Database MUST READ!
Over 150+ nursing care plans for different diseases and conditions. Includes our easy-to-follow guide on how to create nursing care plans from scratch.
- Nursing Diagnosis Guide and List: All You Need to Know to Master Diagnosing
Our comprehensive guide on how to create and write diagnostic labels. Includes detailed nursing care plan guides for common nursing diagnostic labels.
Other care plans and nursing diagnoses related to reproductive and urinary system disorders:
- Acute Glomerulonephritis | 4 Care Plans
- Acute Renal Failure | 6 Care Plans
- Benign Prostatic Hyperplasia (BPH) | 5 Care Plans
- Chronic Renal Failure | 11 Care Plans
- Hemodialysis | 3 Care Plans
- Hysterectomy (TAHBSO) | 6 Care Plans
- Mastectomy | 14+ Care Plans
- Menopause | 6 Care Plans
- Nephrotic Syndrome | 5 Care Plans
- Peritoneal Dialysis | 6 Care Plans
- Prostatectomy | 6 Care Plans
- Urolithiasis (Renal Calculi) | 4 Care Plans
- Urinary Tract Infection | 4 Care Plans
- Vesicoureteral Reflux (VUR) | 5 Care Plans