It’s 2017 and it’s that time of the year again where we celebrate and honor the frontline providers of health care — nurses! Working tirelessly to meet the needs of their patients day and night, nurses are also healers, teachers, leaders, and patient advocates during the most trying times of our lives.
Every year from May 6 to May 12, we celebrate National Nurses Week. The event culminates at May 12 which is also in honor of the founder of modern nursing: Florence Nightingale. This article your portal to all Nurses Week 2017 activities:
Nurses Week Articles
Special articles for nurses during your week! Check these out:
- NEW International Nurses Day 2017: Celebrating and Encouraging Nurses’ Voice. Every year the ICN chooses a special theme for IND and this year it is Nurses: A Voice to Lead, Achieving the Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs). Learn about it here!
- NEW A Tribute to Emergency Room Nurses. A letter of thanks to ER nurses.
- NEW A Tribute to Labor and Delivery and NICU Nurses. A heartwarming letter of tribute to our L&D and NICU nurses.
- NEW 5 Surprising Ways To Have Fun During Nurses Week (Without Breaking The Bank). Here are five great ways you can celebrate Nurses week without breaking your budget.
- 6 Nurses Week Facts You Probably Didn’t Know. Just how much do we know about Nurses Week? We dug down our history books and found these six intriguing and interesting facts about nurses week you probably didn’t know.
- 10 Gift Ideas for the Special Nurses in Your Life. Here are 10 gift ideas that will leave the special nurses in your life at loss for words (hopefully)!
- 40+ Gift Ideas for Nurses That Are Uniquely Awesome. Let’s take a look at the list of the best 40+ gift ideas you can buy for a nurse!
- VIDEO: ‘Here’s to Nurses’: A Tribute to the Profession. This video inspires not just its viewers, but all of our valued nurses, nursing educators, nursing students, nursing researchers, and individuals who support the nursing profession.
- 7 Ways to Say Thank You to Your Everyday Hero. Here are seven ways to alternatively express your gratitude for the everyday heroes who instantly answer your call for help:
- 5 Ways Patients Can Show Appreciation for Their Nurses. Nurses take care of their patients all-year round but this week is extra special. As it’s the celebration of Nurses Week, we’re outlining five of the best yet simple ways you, as patients, can give the love and appreciation back to your nurses.
- ‘I’m a Doctor, and Here’s Why I’m Thankful for Nurses’. And to show appreciation in all you do, I’d like to state a few reasons on why as a doctor, I’m thankful of nurses.
Freebies and Contest
Establishments and businesses are celebrating the Nurses Week 2017 by giving freebies or holding contests for our nurses:
- ANA Free Webinar this May 10th. American Nurses Association is going to have a free webinar entitled: “A Nurse’s Guide to Preventing Compassion Fatigue, Moral Distress, and Burnout.” Discover tools and strategies to infuse meaning, joy, and restoration into your practice and your life. Don’t miss this exclusive event!
- Cinnabon. From May 6 to 12, participating Cinnabon bakeries will offer a choice of a free Cinnabon Classic Roll, MiniBon or a four-count of the new BonBites to nurses. Just present your medical ID badge!
- Chick-fil-A. Free Chick-fil-A Chicken Sandwich for nurses who’ll present their valid nursing ID on Saturday, May 6th from 10:30 am to 10 pm. (Note: Some branches only.)
- Canadian Union of Public Employees (CUPE). CUPE is giving away and iPad and several gift cards to lucky nurses.
- Einstein Bro. Bagels. In celebration of National Nurses Week, Einstein Bros. Bagels wants to give nurses the “buzz” they deserve by offering all nurses an opportunity to try their new Espresso Buzz Bagel and Shmear which is rolling out on May 4th. Nurses may go to any participating location on May 11th in their scrubs, with their I.D. badge or other evidence showing they are a nurse to enjoy the boost.
- FreshRN.com. Get a chance to win free books, a pack of Soothing Scents, and more by just joining this simple promo from FreshRN!
- ScrubsMagazine. Coffee, Perfume and Scrubs! ScrubsMag is giving away a Ninja Coffee Bar, Tempting Perfume and a year’s worth of Careisma Scrubs! Join now!
- KoiHappiness Scrubs. In honor of NUrses Week 2017, Koi Designer Scrubs is slashing 20% off its scrubs! Use the coupon code: “THANKS”. Promo is valid until May 14th.
- PDQ. Get 50% off your entire order by showing a valid ID. Promo is on Tuesday, May 9th.
- Medical Scrubs Mall. Get a WonderWink gift basket in this giveaway. Instructions on the link.
- Tucktails. Check out their Instagram for the rules. Contest until Friday EST.
- allnurses.com. Various contests to join! Get a chance to win one of their goodies for each day of the Nurses Week!
- Cookies By George. Simply nominate a nurse who made an impact in your life and you can get a chance to win a large George Box for them and their coworkers!
Nurses Week Resources
Here are some Nurses Week resources (posters, social media posts, etc) you can use:
- American Nurses Association. ANA has designated 2017 as the “Year of the Healthy Nurse.” Join us during National Nurses Week, May 6–12, as we explore this year’s theme, “Nursing: the Balance of Mind, Body, and Spirit.” It’s all about celebrating nurses like you who lead the charge for health and wellness.
- International Council of Nurses. This year, ICN has chosen the theme, Nurses: A Voice to Lead, Achieving the Sustainable Development Goals for its International Nurses Day kit. This year’s campaign aims to give to all the chance to contribute at their own level and recognise the efforts they already make every day to achieve these goals.
- We Love Our Nurses. From quizzes to a nursing party playlist, check out this website for various resources for Nurses Week 2017!
- Nursing Center. Different National Nurses Week freebies.
Check out these scholarships:
- Western Governors University (WGU). WGU is offering multiple $2000 scholarships and waiving the normal $65 application fee for nurses interested in furthering their education.
- Medical Solutions. The Nurses of Tomorrow Scholarship Contest offers three $2,000 scholarships funded by Medical Solutions and their amazing Travel Nurses in honor of Nurses Week!
Social Media Content and Profile Pictures
Here are logos we have created for this year’s Nurses Week that you can use. Show your support and use them as your profile picture or share them in your social media account:
[Updated as of May 11th]