Dermatitis is a general term that describes an inflammation of the skin. There are different types of dermatitis, including seborrheic dermatitis and atopic dermatitis (eczema). Although the disorder can have many causes and occur in many forms, it usually involves swollen, reddened and itchy skin.
Nursing Care Plans
The nursing care for patients with dermatitis involves treatment for atopic lesions consisting of eliminating all allergens and avoiding irritants, extreme temperatures, and humidity changes, and other factors. Therapy also involves teaching the client on the proper application of topical medications.
Disturbed Body Image
- Visible skin lesions
- Verbalizes feelings about change in body appearance
- Verbalizes negative feelings about skin condition
- Fear of rejection or reactions of others
- Patient verbalizes feeling about lesions and continues daily activities and social interactions.
|Assess the patient’s perception of changed appearance.||The nurse needs to understand the patient’s attitude about visible changes in the appearance of the skin that occur with dermatitis.|
|Assess the patient’s behavior related to appearance.||Patients with body image issues may try to hide or camouflage their lesions. Their socialization may decrease based on anxiety or fear about the reactions of others.|
|Assist the patient in articulating responses to questions from others regarding lesions and contagion.||Patients may need guidance in determining what to say to people who comment about the appearance of their skin. Dermatitis is not a contagious skin condition.|
|Allow patients to verbalize feelings regarding their skin condition.||Through talking, the patient can be guided to separate physical appearance from feelings of personal worth.|
|Assist patients in identifying ways to enhance their appearance.||Clothing, cosmetics, and accessories may direct attention away from the skin lesions. The patient may need help in selecting methods that do not aggravate the skin lesions.|
You may also like the following posts and care plans:
- Nursing Care Plan: The Ultimate Guide and Database – the ultimate database of nursing care plans for different diseases and conditions! Get the complete list!
- Nursing Diagnosis: The Complete Guide and List – archive of different nursing diagnoses with their definition, related factors, goals and nursing interventions with rationale.
Integumentary Care Plans
All about disorders and conditions affecting the integumentary system: