Are you ready to take on the NCLEX-PN and become a licensed practical nurse? Test your knowledge and skills with our comprehensive NCLEX-PN practice questions! From pharmacology to health promotion and maintenance, our practice questions cover all of the essential topics found on the NCLEX-PN exam. These questions are designed to simulate the real exam and help you gauge your readiness. Plus, with detailed explanations for each answer, you can learn from your mistakes and improve your understanding of important nursing concepts. Start practicing today and increase your chances of passing the NCLEX-PN on the first try!
Before you start, here are some examination guidelines and reminders you must read:
- Practice Exams NEW! Engage with our Practice Exams to hone your skills in a supportive, low-pressure environment. These exams provide immediate feedback and explanations, helping you grasp core concepts, identify improvement areas, and build confidence in your knowledge and abilities.
- Challenge Exams NEW! Take our Challenge Exams to test your mastery and readiness under simulated exam conditions. These exams offer a rigorous question set to assess your understanding, prepare you for actual examinations, and benchmark your performance.
- You’re given 2 minutes per item.
- For Challenge Exams, click on the “Start Quiz” button to start the quiz.
- Complete the quiz: Ensure that you answer the entire quiz. Only after you’ve answered every item will the score and rationales be shown.
- Learn from the rationales: After each quiz, click on the “View Questions” button to understand the explanation for each answer.
- Free access: Guess what? Our test banks are 100% FREE. Skip the hassle – no sign-ups or registrations here. A sincere promise from Nurseslabs: we have not and won’t ever request your credit card details or personal info for our practice questions. We’re dedicated to keeping this service accessible and cost-free, especially for our amazing students and nurses. So, take the leap and elevate your career hassle-free!
- Share your thoughts: We’d love your feedback, scores, and questions! Please share them in the comments below.
NCLEX-PN Nursing Test Banks
In this section are the practice questions for the NCLEX-PN. This nursing test bank set includes 200 questions divided into eight parts.
Quizzes included in this guide are:
What is an NCLEX-PN Exam?
The National Council Licensure Examination for Practical Nurses (NCLEX-PN) is an examination offered by the National Council of State Board of Nursing (NCSBN) for those who want to work as a licensed practical nurse (LPN) or licensed vocational nurse (LVN) in the USA. It requires test takers to gauge their competencies regarding safe and effective nursing practice.
How many questions are on the NCLEX-PN Exam?
The NCLEX-PN exam uses a computerized adaptive test (CAT) format meaning that no single exam is identical. The number of questions varies from 85 to 205 questions depending on how well you are performing on the exam. Of these items, 25 are pretest items that do not count towards your score. The time limit for the exam is five (5) hours.
What type of questions can you expect on the NCLEX-PN Exam?
NCLEX-PN examination is divided into four major categories of questions in accordance with their test plan. These areas including the approximate weight percentage are as follows:
1. Safe and Effective Care Environment
- Coordinated Care (16% to 22%): Topics include client rights, advocacy, client care assignments, prioritization, supervisory concepts, informed consent, ethics and confidentiality, continuity of care, legal issues, referral process, quality improvement, and information technology.
- Safety and Infection Control (10% to16%): Covers areas such as an incident report, injury and error prevention, ergonomics, security, and emergency response plans, handling hazardous materials, and home safety.
2. Health Promotion and Maintenance (7% to 13%): Questions are related to the aging process, maternal and child care, developmental stages, disease prevention, community resources, high-risk behaviors, and methods for collecting data.
3. Psychosocial Integrity (8% to 14%): Topics include mental health, drug dependency, crisis intervention, a coping mechanism, support system, therapeutic environment and communication, cultural awareness, behavioral management, abuse and neglect, sensory alterations, grief process, and stress management.
4. Physiological Integrity
- Basic Care and Comfort (13%): Questions are related to hygiene, elimination, nutrition, hydration, sleep, mobility, assistive devices, and comfort intervention.
- Pharmacological Therapies (11% to 17%): Questions focus on drug administration such as dosage calculation, adverse effects, side effects, expected actions and outcomes, and pain management.
- Reduction of Risk Potential (10% to 16%): Topics include vital signs, diagnostic tests, laboratory results, body system alterations, and therapeutic process.
- Physiological Adaptation (7% to 13%): Covers all the different physiological adaptations such as medical emergencies, fluid and electrolyte imbalances, and body system alterations.
For up-to-date information about the NCLEX-PN test plan, visit the NCSBN website.
Study Tips for the NCLEX-PN
The following are the recommended study tips on how to review for the NCLEX-PN:
- Understand the format of the exam. Familiarize yourself with the structure of the exam so that it will give you an idea on how to effectively deal with the questions.
- Use study materials. Go over your nursing textbooks, review some of your handouts, create some flashcards, or check an online course.
- Create a study plan and schedule. Plan which topic you will study on which days of the week and which day you will take a break.
- Avoid cramming. Study effectively and efficiently by giving yourself ample time to take in and retain the information.
- Don’t rely on past clinical or work experiences. The NCLEX-PN exam is always based on evidence-based practice. Your critical thinking skills and book-based knowledge is essential in choosing the most correct answer.
- Try answering NCLEX-PN Practice Exams. These practice exams will give you a preview of which topics you have mastered and which areas you need to study more.
- Get ready for the exam day. It is important to have at least 8 hours of sleep prior to the exam, eat breakfast on the morning of the exam, dress comfortably, and arrive early.
Recommended books and resources for your NCLEX success:
Saunders Comprehensive Review for the NCLEX-RN
Saunders Comprehensive Review for the NCLEX-RN Examination is often referred to as the best nursing exam review book ever. More than 5,700 practice questions are available in the text. Detailed test-taking strategies are provided for each question, with hints for analyzing and uncovering the correct answer option.
Strategies for Student Success on the Next Generation NCLEX® (NGN) Test Items
Next Generation NCLEX®-style practice questions of all types are illustrated through stand-alone case studies and unfolding case studies. NCSBN Clinical Judgment Measurement Model (NCJMM) is included throughout with case scenarios that integrate the six clinical judgment cognitive skills.
Saunders Q & A Review for the NCLEX-RN® Examination
This edition contains over 6,000 practice questions with each question containing a test-taking strategy and justifications for correct and incorrect answers to enhance review. Questions are organized according to the most recent NCLEX-RN test blueprint Client Needs and Integrated Processes. Questions are written at higher cognitive levels (applying, analyzing, synthesizing, evaluating, and creating) than those on the test itself.
NCLEX-RN Prep Plus by Kaplan
The NCLEX-RN Prep Plus from Kaplan employs expert critical thinking techniques and targeted sample questions. This edition identifies seven types of NGN questions and explains in detail how to approach and answer each type. In addition, it provides 10 critical thinking pathways for analyzing exam questions.
Illustrated Study Guide for the NCLEX-RN® Exam
The 10th edition of the Illustrated Study Guide for the NCLEX-RN Exam, 10th Edition. This study guide gives you a robust, visual, less-intimidating way to remember key facts. 2,500 review questions are now included on the Evolve companion website. 25 additional illustrations and mnemonics make the book more appealing than ever.
NCLEX RN Examination Prep Flashcards (2023 Edition)
NCLEX RN Exam Review FlashCards Study Guide with Practice Test Questions [Full-Color Cards] from Test Prep Books. These flashcards are ready for use, allowing you to begin studying immediately. Each flash card is color-coded for easy subject identification.
An investment in knowledge pays the best interest. Keep up the pace and continue learning with these practice quizzes:
- Nursing Test Bank: Free Practice Questions UPDATED!
Our most comprehenisve and updated nursing test bank that includes over 3,500 practice questions covering a wide range of nursing topics that are absolutely free!
- NCLEX Questions Nursing Test Bank and Review UPDATED!
Over 1,000+ comprehensive NCLEX practice questions covering different nursing topics. We’ve made a significant effort to provide you with the most challenging questions along with insightful rationales for each question to reinforce learning.