Practice answering select all that apply (SATA) questions for your NCLEX! Included in this free nursing test bank are 100 questions that are all multiple-response types covering different topics in nursing. Also in this article are tips on how to answer SATA questions.
Select All That Apply Practice Questions
This NCLEX nursing test bank for select all that apply includes 100 questions divided into two parts with 50 items each. Be sure to read the SATA tips below first to learn the techniques on how to answer them.
Quizzes included in this guide are:
- Select All That Apply NCLEX Practice | Quiz #1: 50 Questions
- Select All That Apply NCLEX Practice | Quiz #2: 50 Questions
Want a full copy? If you want to print a copy of this quiz, please visit FULL TEXT: Select All That Apply NCLEX Practice Quiz (100 Questions)
- Comprehend each item. Read and understand each question before choosing the best answer. The exam has no time limit so that you can make sense of each item at your own pace.
- Review your answers. Once you’re done with all the questions, you’ll be redirected to the Quiz Summary table, where you’ll be able to review which questions you’ve answered or may have skipped. Review your answers once more before pressing the Finish Quiz button.
- Read the rationales. After you have reviewed your answers, click on the Finish Quiz button to record your answers and show your score. Click on the View Questions button to review the quiz and read through the rationales for each question.
- Let us know your feedback! Comment us your thoughts, scores, ratings, and questions about the quiz in the comments section below.
Select All That Apply NCLEX Practice | Quiz #2: 50 Questions
Last part of the SATA quiz! Good luck!
0 of 50 Questions completed
You have already completed the quiz before. Hence you can not start it again.
Quiz is loading…
You must sign in or sign up to start the quiz.
You must first complete the following:
0 of 50 Questions answered correctly
Time has elapsed
You have reached 0 of 0 point(s), (0)
Earned Point(s): 0 of 0, (0)
0 Essay(s) Pending (Possible Point(s): 0)
Congratulations, you have completed this quiz!
Where are the rationales? Please click the View Questions button below to review your answers and read through the rationales for each question.
Question 1 of 50
A nurse is admitting a client with a possible diagnosis of chronic bronchitis. The nurse collects data from the client and notes which of the following signs supports this diagnosis? Select all that apply.CorrectIncorrect
Question 2 of 50
A nurse, assigned to a client with emphysema, is providing shift report. Which nursing interventions would be appropriate to include? Select all that apply.CorrectIncorrect
Question 3 of 50
A nurse is assigned to care for a client with a peripheral IV infusion. The nurse is providing hygiene care to the client and would avoid which of the following while changing the client’s hospital gown? Select all that apply.CorrectIncorrect
Question 4 of 50
A nurse is caring for a client who underwent surgical repair of a detached retina in the right eye. Which nursing interventions should the nurse perform? Select all that apply.CorrectIncorrect
Question 5 of 50
A nurse is planning care for a client with hyperthyroidism. Which nursing interventions are appropriate? Select all that apply.CorrectIncorrect
Question 6 of 50
A nurse is assisting with planning care for a client with an internal radiation implant. Which of the following should be included in the plan of care? Select all that apply.CorrectIncorrect
Question 7 of 50
The nurse is caring for a client after a supratentorial craniotomy in which a large tumor was removed from the left side. Choose the positions in which the nurse can safely place the client. Select all that apply.CorrectIncorrect
Question 8 of 50
A client has a tumor of the posterior pituitary gland. A nurse planning care should include which nursing interventions? Select all that apply.CorrectIncorrect
Question 9 of 50
A nurse is caring for a client with a healthcare-associated infection caused by methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus who is on contact precautions. The nurse prepares to provide colostomy care to the client. Which of the following protective items will be required to perform this procedure? Select all that apply.CorrectIncorrect
Question 10 of 50
A nurse is caring for a client with a hiatal hernia. The client complains of abdominal and sternal pain after eating. The pain makes it difficult for the client to sleep. Which instructions should the nurse recommend when teaching this client? Select all that apply.CorrectIncorrect
Question 11 of 50
A nurse is caring for a client with diabetic ketoacidosis and documents that the client is experiencing Kussmaul’s respirations. Based on this documentation, which of the following did the nurse most likely observe? Select all that apply.CorrectIncorrect
Question 12 of 50
Which nursing interventions are appropriate for a client recovering from surgery for retinal detachment? Select all that apply.CorrectIncorrect
Question 13 of 50
A nurse is caring for a client with leukemia and notes that the client has a flat neck and hand veins. The nurse suspects hyponatremia. What additional signs would the nurse expect to note in this client if hyponatremia is present? Select all that apply.CorrectIncorrect
Question 14 of 50
A nurse is caring for a group of clients who are taking herbal medications at home. Which of the following clients should be instructed not to take herbal medications? Select all that apply.CorrectIncorrect
Question 15 of 50
A nurse is caring for an infant with a diagnosis of tetralogy of Fallot. The infant suddenly becomes cyanotic and the oxygen saturation reading drops to 60%. Choose the interventions that the nurse should perform. Select all that apply.CorrectIncorrect
Question 16 of 50
A nurse is collecting data on a client with severe preeclampsia. Choose the findings that would be noted in severe preeclampsia. Select all that apply.CorrectIncorrect
Question 17 of 50
A nurse is monitoring a client with Graves’ disease for signs of thyrotoxicosis (thyroid storm). Which of the following signs and symptoms, if noted in the client, will alert the nurse to the presence of this crisis? Select all that apply.CorrectIncorrect
Question 18 of 50
A nurse is monitoring a group of clients for acid-base imbalances. Which clients are at highest risk for metabolic acidosis? Select all that apply.CorrectIncorrect
Question 19 of 50
The nurse is preparing a teaching plan for a client who is undergoing cataract extraction with intraocular implant. Which home care measures will the nurse include in the plan? Select all that apply.CorrectIncorrect
Question 20 of 50
A nurse is teaching a client with left leg weakness to walk with a cane. The nurse should include which nursing points about safe cane use in the client teaching? Select all that apply.CorrectIncorrect
Question 21 of 50
A nurse is providing a list of instructions to a client who is scheduled to have an electroencephalogram (EEG). Choose the instructions that the nurse places on the list. Select all that apply.CorrectIncorrect
Question 22 of 50
The nurse is providing discharge teaching to the client who was given a prescription for nifedipine (Adalat) for blood pressure management. Which instructions should the nurse include? Select all that apply.CorrectIncorrect
Question 23 of 50
A nurse is providing teaching regarding the prevention of Lyme disease to a group of teenagers going on a hike in a wooded area. Which of the following points should the nurse include in the session? Select all that apply.CorrectIncorrect
Question 24 of 50
A nurse is reinforcing instructions to a client following a total laryngectomy about caring for the stoma. Choose the instructions that the nurse provides to the client. Select all that apply.CorrectIncorrect
Question 25 of 50
A nurse is reviewing the health records of assigned clients. The nurse plans care knowing that which client is at risk for fluid volume deficit? Select all that apply.CorrectIncorrect
Question 26 of 50
A nurse is told in a report that a client has a positive Chvostek’s sign. What other data would the nurse expect to find on data collection? Select all that apply.CorrectIncorrect
Question 27 of 50
A nurse lawyer provides an education session for the nursing staff regarding client rights. A nurse asks the lawyer to describe an example that may relate to the invasion of client privacy. A nursing action that indicates a violation of this right is? Select all that apply.CorrectIncorrect
Question 28 of 50
A nurse notes in the medical record that a client with Cushing’s syndrome is experiencing fluid overload. Which interventions should be included in the plan of care? Select all that apply.CorrectIncorrect
Question 29 of 50
While providing care to a married client, the nurse notes multiple blue, purple, and yellow ecchymotic areas on the arms and trunk. When the nurse asks about these bruises, the client responds, “I tripped.” What actions should the nurse take? Select all that apply.CorrectIncorrect
Question 30 of 50
Which instruction should the nurse provide to the client with diabetes mellitus receiving acarbose (Precose)? Select all that apply.CorrectIncorrect
Question 31 of 50
A nurse prepares a list of home care instructions for the parents of a child who has a plaster cast applied to the left forearm. Choose the instructions that would be included on the list. Select all that apply.CorrectIncorrect
Question 32 of 50
A nurse reinforces instructions to the mother of a child who has been hospitalized with croup. Which of the following statements, if made by the mother, would indicate the need for further instruction? Select all that apply.CorrectIncorrect
Question 33 of 50
The nurse would anticipate the use of which medications in the treatment of the client with heart failure? Select all that apply.CorrectIncorrect
Question 34 of 50
The nurse is providing care for a client who has had a stroke. Since the onset of symptoms, the client has been experiencing left-sided hemianopsia. Which nursing interventions would be appropriate? Select all that apply.CorrectIncorrect
Question 35 of 50
A nurse is caring for a client who is disoriented to time, place, and person and is attempting to get out of bed and pull out an intravenous (I.V.) line that is supplying hydration and antibiotics. The client has a vest restraint and bilateral soft wrist restraints. Which nursing actions would be appropriate? Select all that apply.CorrectIncorrect
Question 36 of 50
Which of these clients are most likely to develop fluid (circulatory) overload? Select all that apply.CorrectIncorrect
Question 37 of 50
A client has just been diagnosed with terminal cancer and is being transferred to home hospice care. The client’s daughter tells the nurse, “I don’t know what to say to my mother if she asks me if she’s going to die.” Which responses by the nurse would be appropriate? Select all that apply.CorrectIncorrect
Question 38 of 50
When caring for a 3-year-old child, the nurse should provide which toys for this child? Select all that apply.CorrectIncorrect
Question 39 of 50
When the nurse is collecting data from the older adult, which of the following findings would be considered normal physiological changes? Select all that apply.CorrectIncorrect
Question 40 of 50
Which data indicates to the nurse that a client may be experiencing ineffective coping? Select all that apply.CorrectIncorrect
Question 41 of 50
The nurse notes that a client is quite suspicious during an assessment interview and believes that her family is under investigation by the CIA. What would the appropriate nursing interventions be with this client? Select all that apply.CorrectIncorrect
Question 42 of 50
Which nursing interventions will assist in reducing pressure points that may lead to pressure ulcers? Select all that apply:CorrectIncorrect
Question 43 of 50
The nurse is evaluating a client recently diagnosed with primary open angle glaucoma (POAG). What will an important nursing action be? Select all that apply.CorrectIncorrect
Question 44 of 50
A nurse understands that a patient may experience pain during peritoneal dialysis because of which of the following? Select all that apply.CorrectIncorrect
Question 45 of 50
The nurse is evaluating a client’s response to hemodialysis. Which lab results will indicate the dialysis was effective? Select all that apply.CorrectIncorrect
Question 46 of 50
The nurse understands that the following clinical findings are indications for dialysis. Select all that apply.CorrectIncorrect
Question 47 of 50
The nurse is assessing a client who had a fractured femur repaired with an external fixator device. Which assessment finding would cause the nurse concern regarding the development of compartment syndrome? Select all that apply.CorrectIncorrect
Question 48 of 50
The nurse is preparing discharge for a patient with GERD. What would be important for the nurse to include in this teaching plan? Select all that apply.CorrectIncorrect
Question 49 of 50
The nurse is preparing a client for cardiac catheterization. Which nursing interventions are necessary in preparing the client for this procedure. Select all that apply.CorrectIncorrect
Question 50 of 50
The nurse has been assigned a group of cardiac clients. What would be the most important information for the nurse to check on the initial evaluation of each client? Select all that apply.CorrectIncorrect
Tips When Answering Select All That Apply
In multiple-response or select all that apply (SATA) questions, you will be required to select or check all the options that pertain to the question. No partial credit is given in the scoring of items, so you must select all correct answers for the item to be considered correct.
Test-taking tips when answering select all that apply questions:
- Get to know as much nursing content as possible. Do your homework and build up your nursing knowledge and note that there are no shortcuts in preparing for SATA questions.
- Expect SATA questions. You will encounter several questions using the multiple response format on your NCLEX. Anticipate that this will happen to help you minimize your anxiety as these questions in SATA format shows up.
- Take SATA positively. Select all that apply questions reflect the quantity and quality of your knowledge about nursing. These questions are added to the NCLEX test bank because, in one item, it can evaluate how well the candidate is knowledgeable about the topic. In NCLEX’s computer adaptive testing, if a difficult question shows up (like SATA), it means your higher level of cognitive ability is being tested and you’re on the right track.
- Completely understand what the question is asking. Just like with any other questions in the NCLEX, carefully understand what the question is asking first. Train yourself to actually spend more time looking and processing the question than looking over the options or choices. A mindset like this will help you have a clear goal in mind before you proceed with comparing each option against your goal.
- The secret to select all that apply questions. Here’s the secret, SATA questions are actually a form of “true or false” questions! Therefore, you proceed to answer each option by responding with either a “yes” or a “no”, or if it “applies” or “does not apply” to what the question is asking. Go down the list of options one by one and ask yourself if it applies to what the question is asking, then look at the next choices and do the same thing.
- Don’t group or associate choices. Treat each choice or option as a possible answer separate to other choices. Don’t group or link the choices to one another and should not be answered as a group.
- Pay attention to the wording of the options. Watch out for absolutes or extremes (e.g, at all times, all the time, complete restriction) as these are probably wrong choices. If you cannot recall the information or if it doesn’t make sense, it’s probably wrong.
- Don’t overthink and move on. After you’ve chosen your answers by following step #5, do not go back and change your answer. Most SATA questions are not on the application or analysis level so it usually doesn’t need you to factor in anything and modify your response. Do not change your answer unless there is something really obvious that you have overlooked or if you did not follow step #4. Also, if you feel you’re wasting time for one question, move on and do not let it ruin your momentum.
- Minimum of two correct answers. According to the NCSBN site, there will always be more than one correct answer so a “minimum of two correct options.” It’s also rare to have all choices correct but it can technically happen. NCSBN requires the candidate to utilize their comprehensive knowledge to determine the appropriate amount of applicable maximum correct answers to each item.
- Practice. To widen your nursing knowledge and help you remove the anxiety in answering select all that apply questions, you need to get your hands dirty and try out our SATA NCLEX practice questions above.
Recommended books and resources for your NCLEX success:
- Saunders Comprehensive Review for the NCLEX-RN (8th Edition)
The most comprehensive and complete NCLEX exam review book with over 5,200 NCLEX-style questions that are thoroughly updated to reflect the most recent test plan.
- Saunders Q & A Review for the NCLEX-RN® Examination (8th Edition)
This popular review offers more than 6,000 test questions, giving you all the Q&A practice you need to pass the NCLEX-RN examination! Each question enhances review by including a test-taking strategy and rationale for correct and incorrect answers.
- NCLEX-RN Prep Plus by Kaplan (24th Edition)
Kaplan’s NCLEX-RN Prep Plus uses expert critical thinking strategies and targeted sample questions to help you put your expertise into practice and face the exam with confidence.
- Illustrated Study Guide for the NCLEX-RN Exam
Using colorful illustrations and fun mnemonic cartoons, the Illustrated Study Guide for the NCLEX-RN® Exam, 10th Edition brings the concepts found on the NCLEX-RN to life!
- NCLEX RN Examination Prep Flashcards
Easy to use flash cards developed by test prep books for test takers trying to achieve a passing score on the NCLEX RN test, these flashcards cover.
- Prioritization, Delegation, and Assignment: Practice Exercises for the NCLEX-RN Examination
This book is the first and the most popular NCLEX-RN Exam review book focused exclusively on building management-of-care clinical judgment skills.
- Saunders Comprehensive Review for the NCLEX-PN Examination (8th Edition)
The book includes a review of all nursing content areas, more than 4,500 NCLEX exam-style questions, detailed rationales, test-taking tips and strategies, and new Next-Generation NCLEX (NGN)-style questions.
- More NCLEX review books here.
An investment in knowledge pays the best interest. Keep up the pace and continue learning with these practice quizzes:
- Nursing Test Bank: Free Practice Questions UPDATED!
Our most comprehenisve and updated nursing test bank that includes over 3,500 practice questions covering a wide range of nursing topics that are absolutely free!
- NCLEX Questions Nursing Test Bank and Review UPDATED!
Over 1,000+ comprehensive NCLEX practice questions covering different nursing topics. We’ve made a significant effort to provide you with the most challenging questions along with insightful rationales for each question to reinforce learning.
Originally published in October 2014.