Welcome to our nursing test bank for NCLEX-PN practice questions! These free NCLEX-PN questions will help you enhance your critical thinking skills and can help you review and prepare for the actual exam.
NCLEX-PN Nursing Test Banks
In this section are the practice questions for the NCLEX-PN. This nursing test bank set includes 200 questions divided into eight parts.
Quizzes included in this guide are:
- NCLEX-PN Practice | Quiz #1: 25 Questions
- NCLEX-PN Practice | Quiz #2: 25 Questions
- NCLEX-PN Practice | Quiz #3: 25 Questions
- NCLEX-PN Practice | Quiz #4: 25 Questions
- NCLEX-PN Practice | Quiz #5: 25 Questions
- NCLEX-PN Practice | Quiz #6: 25 Questions
- NCLEX-PN Practice | Quiz #7: 25 Questions
- NCLEX-PN Practice | Quiz #8: 25 Questions
- Comprehend each item. Read and understand each question before choosing the best answer. The exam has no time limit so that you can make sense of each item at your own pace.
- Review your answers. Once you’re done with all the questions, you’ll be redirected to the Quiz Summary table, where you’ll be able to review which questions you’ve answered or may have skipped. Review your answers once more before pressing the Finish Quiz button.
- Read the rationales. After you have reviewed your answers, click on the Finish Quiz button to record your answers and show your score. Click on the View Questions button to review the quiz and read through the rationales for each question.
- Let us know your feedback! Comment us your thoughts, scores, ratings, and questions about the quiz in the comments section below.
NCLEX-PN Practice | Quiz #3: 25 Questions
0 of 25 Questions completed
You have already completed the quiz before. Hence you can not start it again.
Quiz is loading…
You must sign in or sign up to start the quiz.
You must first complete the following:
0 of 25 Questions answered correctly
Time has elapsed
You have reached 0 of 0 point(s), (0)
Earned Point(s): 0 of 0, (0)
0 Essay(s) Pending (Possible Point(s): 0)
Congratulations, you have completed this quiz!
Where are the rationales? Please click the View Questions button below to review your answers and read through the rationales for each question.
Question 1 of 25
The nurse is caring for a client with systemic lupus erythematosus (SLE). The major complication associated with systemic lupus erythematosus is:CorrectIncorrect
Question 2 of 25
Which diet is associated with an increased risk of colorectal cancer?CorrectIncorrect
Question 3 of 25
The nurse is caring for an infant following a cleft lip repair. While comforting the infant, the nurse should avoid:CorrectIncorrect
Question 4 of 25
The physician has ordered Amoxil (amoxicillin) 500 mg capsules for a client with esophageal varices. The nurse can best care for the client’s needs by:CorrectIncorrect
Question 5 of 25
The nurse is providing dietary instructions for a client with hemochromatosis. Which food items should the client consume, except?CorrectIncorrect
Question 6 of 25
The nurse is teaching a client with Parkinson’s disease ways to prevent curvatures of the spine associated with the disease. The nurse should tell the client to:CorrectIncorrect
Question 7 of 25
The nurse is planning dietary changes for a client following an episode of pancreatitis. Which diet is suitable for the client?CorrectIncorrect
Question 8 of 25
A client with hypothyroidism frequently complains of feeling cold. The nurse should tell the client that she will be more comfortable if she:CorrectIncorrect
Question 9 of 25
A client has been hospitalized with a diagnosis of laryngeal cancer. Which factor is most significant in the development of laryngeal cancer?CorrectIncorrect
Question 10 of 25
The nurse is completing an assessment history of a client with pernicious anemia. Which complaint differentiates pernicious anemia from other types of anemia?CorrectIncorrect
Question 11 of 25
The chart of a client with schizophrenia states that the client has perseveration. The nurse can expect the client to:CorrectIncorrect
Question 12 of 25
Which early morning activity helps to reduce the symptoms associated with rheumatoid arthritis?CorrectIncorrect
Question 13 of 25
A newborn weighed 7 pounds at birth. At 6 months of age, the infant could be expected to weigh:CorrectIncorrect
Question 14 of 25
A client with nontropical sprue has an exacerbation of symptoms. Which meal selection is responsible for the recurrence of the client’s symptoms?CorrectIncorrect
Question 15 of 25
A client with congestive heart failure has been receiving Digoxin (lanoxin). Which finding indicates that the medication is having a desired effect?CorrectIncorrect
Question 16 of 25
Which play activity is best suited to the gross motor skills of the toddler?CorrectIncorrect
Question 17 of 25
The physician has ordered Basaljel (aluminum carbonate gel) for a client with recurrent indigestion. The nurse should teach the client common side effects of the medication, which include:CorrectIncorrect
Question 18 of 25
A client is admitted with suspected abdominal aortic aneurysm (AAA). A common complaint of the client with an abdominal aortic aneurysm is:CorrectIncorrect
Question 19 of 25
A client is admitted with acute adrenal crisis. During the intake assessment, the nurse can expect to find that the client has:CorrectIncorrect
Question 20 of 25
An elderly client is hospitalized for transurethral resection of the prostate (TURP). Which finding postoperatively should be reported to the doctor immediately?CorrectIncorrect
Question 21 of 25
A 9-year-old is admitted with suspected rheumatic fever. Which finding is suggestive of polymigratory arthritis?CorrectIncorrect
Question 22 of 25
A child with a croup is placed in a cool, high-humidity tent connected to room air. The primary purpose of the tent is to:CorrectIncorrect
Question 23 of 25
A client is admitted with a diagnosis of hypothyroidism. An initial assessment of the client would reveal:CorrectIncorrect
Question 24 of 25
Robert is diagnosed with varicella. He went to a clinic with a mild fever, loss of appetite, and rashes on the chest area. When he asked about the disease. Which statement describes the contagious stage of varicella?CorrectIncorrect
Question 25 of 25
A client admitted to the psychiatric unit claims to be the Son of God and insists that he will not be kept away from his followers. The most likely explanation for the client’s delusion is:CorrectIncorrect
What is an NCLEX-PN Exam?
The National Council Licensure Examination for Practical Nurses (NCLEX-PN) is an examination offered by the National Council of State Board of Nursing (NCSBN) for those who want to work as a licensed practical nurse (LPN) or licensed vocational nurse (LVN) in the USA. It requires test takers to gauge their competencies regarding safe and effective nursing practice.
How many questions are on the NCLEX-PN Exam?
The NCLEX-PN exam uses a computerized adaptive test (CAT) format meaning that no single exam is identical. The number of questions varies from 85 to 205 questions depending on how well an examiner answers. Of these items, 25 are pretest items that do not count towards your score. The time limit for the exam is five (5) hours.
What type of questions can you expect on the NCLEX-PN Exam?
NCLEX-PN examination is divided into four major categories of questions in accordance with their test plan. These areas including the approximate weight percentage are as follows:
1. Safe and Effective Care Environment
- Coordinated Care (16% to 22%): Topics include client rights, advocacy, client care assignments, prioritization, supervisory concepts, informed consent, ethics and confidentiality, continuity of care, legal issues, referral process, quality improvement, and information technology.
- Safety and Infection Control (10% to16%): Covers areas such as an incident report, injury and error prevention, ergonomics, security, and emergency response plans, handling hazardous materials, and home safety.
2. Health Promotion and Maintenance (7% to 13%): Questions are related to the aging process, maternal and child care, developmental stages, disease prevention, community resources, high-risk behaviors, and methods for collecting data.
3. Psychosocial Integrity (8% to 14%): Topics include mental health, drug dependency, crisis intervention, a coping mechanism, support system, therapeutic environment and communication, cultural awareness, behavioral management, abuse and neglect, sensory alterations, grief process, and stress management.
4. Physiological Integrity
- Basic Care and Comfort (13%): Questions are related to hygiene, elimination, nutrition, hydration, sleep, mobility, assistive devices, and comfort intervention.
- Pharmacological Therapies (11% to 17%): Questions focus on drug administration such as dosage calculation, adverse effects, side effects, expected actions and outcomes, and pain management.
- Reduction of Risk Potential (10% to 16%): Topics include vital signs, diagnostic tests, laboratory results, body system alterations, and therapeutic process.
- Physiological Adaptation (7% to 13%): Covers all the different physiological adaptations such as medical emergencies, fluid and electrolyte imbalances, and body system alterations.
For up-to-date information about the NCLEX-PN test plan, visit the NCSBN website.
Study Tips for the NCLEX-PN
The following are the recommended study tips on how to review for the NCLEX-PN:
- Understand the format of the exam. Familiarize yourself with the structure of the exam so that it will give you an idea on how to effectively deal with the questions.
- Use study materials. Go over your nursing textbooks, review some of your handouts, create some flashcards, or check an online course.
- Create a study plan and schedule. Plan which topic you will study on which days of the week and which day you will take a break.
- Avoid cramming. Study effectively and efficiently by giving yourself ample time to take in and retain the information.
- Don’t rely on past clinical or work experiences. The NCLEX-PN exam is always based on evidence-based practice. Your critical thinking skills and book-based knowledge is essential in choosing the most correct answer.
- Try answering NCLEX-PN Practice Exams. These practice exams will give you a preview of which topics you have mastered and which areas you need to study more.
- Get ready for the exam day. It is important to have at least 8 hours of sleep prior to the exam, eat breakfast on the morning of the exam, dress comfortably, and arrive early.
Recommended books and resources for your NCLEX success:
- Saunders Comprehensive Review for the NCLEX-RN (8th Edition)
The most comprehensive and complete NCLEX exam review book with over 5,200 NCLEX-style questions that are thoroughly updated to reflect the most recent test plan.
- Saunders Q & A Review for the NCLEX-RN® Examination (8th Edition)
This popular review offers more than 6,000 test questions, giving you all the Q&A practice you need to pass the NCLEX-RN examination! Each question enhances review by including a test-taking strategy and rationale for correct and incorrect answers.
- NCLEX-RN Prep Plus by Kaplan (24th Edition)
Kaplan’s NCLEX-RN Prep Plus uses expert critical thinking strategies and targeted sample questions to help you put your expertise into practice and face the exam with confidence.
- Illustrated Study Guide for the NCLEX-RN Exam
Using colorful illustrations and fun mnemonic cartoons, the Illustrated Study Guide for the NCLEX-RN® Exam, 10th Edition brings the concepts found on the NCLEX-RN to life!
- NCLEX RN Examination Prep Flashcards
Easy to use flash cards developed by test prep books for test takers trying to achieve a passing score on the NCLEX RN test, these flashcards cover.
- Prioritization, Delegation, and Assignment: Practice Exercises for the NCLEX-RN Examination
This book is the first and the most popular NCLEX-RN Exam review book focused exclusively on building management-of-care clinical judgment skills.
- Saunders Comprehensive Review for the NCLEX-PN Examination (8th Edition)
The book includes a review of all nursing content areas, more than 4,500 NCLEX exam-style questions, detailed rationales, test-taking tips and strategies, and new Next-Generation NCLEX (NGN)-style questions.
- More NCLEX review books here.
An investment in knowledge pays the best interest. Keep up the pace and continue learning with these practice quizzes:
- Nursing Test Bank: Free Practice Questions UPDATED!
Our most comprehenisve and updated nursing test bank that includes over 3,500 practice questions covering a wide range of nursing topics that are absolutely free!
- NCLEX Questions Nursing Test Bank and Review UPDATED!
Over 1,000+ comprehensive NCLEX practice questions covering different nursing topics. We’ve made a significant effort to provide you with the most challenging questions along with insightful rationales for each question to reinforce learning.