Nurses can’t deny their jobs. It’s a part of who we are as a person. But we also can’t hide what area of nursing we work in, whether it is geriatrics, NICU, or pediatrics. We all have our niche and it shows. Pediatric nurses are unique; perhaps, most obvious by their appearance or smiles that light up the room. Here are ten signs that you’re a pediatric nurse!
1. You have some flashy toy or doll on your person at any given time. Usually, it is used to distract a small child during a procedure. Your stethoscope or badge probably has some child plaything attached to it.
2. You know all the newest Disney and Cartoon Network TV shows. And also which stars are dating whom.
3. Your nursing paraphernalia also includes things like Hot Wheels and stickers. The depths of your nursing bag will reveal items such as nail polish, plastic rings, and suckers; even though you may not have children.
4. You use high-pitched baby-talk when talking to your patients. Your tone gets sweeter, and words like “baby” and “cutie pie” are used. You just can’t help it when you look at those sweet little angelic faces.
5. You don’t panic easily when a child is hurt/sick. There must be excessive blood. And, and even then, you may not panic until loss of consciousness occurs. You’ve seen it all and can handle any situation.
6. You know the name of every superhero, cartoon character, and Disney princess. Not to mention, you probably have a pair of scrubs featuring said characters.
7. You have mastered the art of distraction. From an infant to adolescent, distracting a child from the pain and discomforts of a hospital has become a major skill of yours. Maybe it’s a toy, a game or a silly song. No matter the distraction, both the patient and the parent applaud this essential skill.
8. Your imagination is as creative as a child’s. It has to be, to make the hospital not seem so scary to a 3-year-old. X-Ray machines become spaceships; Gloves can be blown into balloons; and saline syringes turn out to make great squirt guns for water fights!
9. Your house looks like you run a daycare inside…with all the artwork plastered on the walls and refrigerator.
10. You would rather talk to kids than people your own age. Maybe you’re even a little socially awkward when talking to adults.
So, there are 10 of the many special signs of a pediatric nurse. They’re known for being creative, spontaneous, thoughtful and very compassionate! Thank you pediatric nurses for taking great care of our littles! What other signs a pediatric nurse can you think of?