We all love our obstetric nurses! We especially appreciate them if we have had children of our own! The best tips and tricks I’ve learned as a nurse and mom have come from a labor and delivery nurse! Here are 10 secret life hacks from an L&D nurse!
1. Tape a 10-cm strip of tape on the back of your name badge. This really helps when learning cervical checks.
2. Belly bands (abdominal binder) can be used to hold fetal monitors in place when having difficulty getting a tracing.
3. Double insertion of a Foley catheter. If you miss the target the first time, leave the catheter in place, use a different catheter and aim higher the second time. Your chances of getting that flashback of urine are higher the second try!
4. Hydrogen Peroxide is the best way to remove blood stains. Just rub it on the stain using a cotton ball or gauze until the blood is gone.
5. Baby spit up? Rinse with water, scrub it with baking soda and launder normally. No stink, no stain.
6. Padsicles! Pad, ice pack, tucks and Dermoplast. Your postpartum SVDs will thank you. Also, upon discharge, suggest using witch hazel and aloe vera gel on pads and then freezing them. This can also help with pain after going home!
7. Nauseous patient and no order for antiemetics? Have them smell an alcohol swab while you get that resident on the phone!
8. When weighing a newborn boy, place a piece of gauze over the diaper area to avoid sprays.
9. Flavored ice = happier NPO, active laboring momma.
10. Apply baby lotion to baby wipes when cleaning to help remove those first sticky stools from baby bums!
If you’re a new L&D nurse, welcome to the team! These 10 tips will get you started out on the right foot! If you’re a seasoned OB nurse, what other “OB life hacks” can you think of? Share in the comments below!Last updated on