A hernia occurs when abdominal contents protrude through an opening in a weakened area of a muscle. An umbilical hernia is the bulging of the intestine and omentum through the umbilical ring as a result of incomplete closure following birth. An inguinal hernia is the protrusion of intestine through the inguinal ring caused by a failure of the vaginal process to atrophy to close prior birth allowing for a hernial sac to develop along the inguinal canal.
An umbilical hernia usually resolves by the age of 4-5 years old. Surgery is recommended for those that become enlarged and to those that do not disappear by school age. An inguinal hernia is commonly associated with a hydrocele that becomes prevalent in the infant by 2 to 3 months of age when intra-abdominal pressure increases enough to open the sac. Both are corrected by surgical repair (herniorrhaphy) to prevent obstruction and eventual incarceration of a loop of bowel.
Nursing Care Plans
Rendering effective nursing care is important after a surgical repair for hernia which includes providing comfort, educating parents and child as appropriate with information related with the postoperative condition and care measures, and preventing the occurrence of complications.
May be related to
- Surgical repair
Possibly evidenced by
- Change in facial expression in the child
- Irritability in infant
- Verbalization of pain
- Guarding behavior
- Crying, Moaning
- Refusal to move
- Client will express feelings of comfort and reduce pain as described using a pain scale.
|Assess incision pain and nonverbal signs of pain such as crying, lethargy, facial grimace.||Determines the need for the initiation of analgesic therapy.|
|Administer analgesic appropriate for the severity of pain and age.||Allays pain and discomfort caused by the incision.|
|Maintain position of comfort.||Facilitates comfort and decreases pain caused by the strain on incision.|
|Apply an ice compress on the scrotal area if hydrocele is corrected and apply scrotal support if appropriate.||Promotes comfort by decreasing the swelling.|
|Provide support to the buttocks during lifting or position changes.||Avoid strain and pull on incision site.|
|Encourage parents to change diapers frequently.||Prevents irritation and pain at incision area caused by wet diapers.|
|Provide toys, games for quiet play.||Facilitates diversionary activity to detract from pain.|
|Instruct parents to hold the infant during feeding or when irritable, frequently burp to remove swallowed air.||Reduces strain on the incision and promotes comfort.|
|Educate parents on the causes of pain and interventions needed to relieve it.||Promotes understanding of treatments for pain postoperatively.|
Recommended nursing diagnosis and nursing care plan books and resources.
- Nursing Care Plans: Nursing Diagnosis and Intervention (10th Edition)
An awesome book to help you create and customize effective nursing care plans. We highly recommend this book for its completeness and ease of use.
- Nurse’s Pocket Guide: Diagnoses, Prioritized Interventions and Rationales
A quick-reference tool to easily select the appropriate nursing diagnosis to plan your patient’s care effectively.
- NANDA International Nursing Diagnoses: Definitions & Classification, 2021-2023 (12th Edition)
The official and definitive guide to nursing diagnoses as reviewed and approved by the NANDA-I. This book focuses on the nursing diagnostic labels, their defining characteristics, and risk factors – this does not include nursing interventions and rationales.
- Nursing Diagnosis Handbook, 12th Edition Revised Reprint with 2021-2023 NANDA-I® Updates
Another great nursing care plan resource that is updated to include the recent NANDA-I updates.
- Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders, Fifth Edition (DSM-5(TM))
Useful for creating nursing care plans related to mental health and psychiatric nursing.
- Ulrich & Canale’s Nursing Care Planning Guides, 8th Edition
Claims to have the most in-depth care plans of any nursing care planning book. Includes 31 detailed nursing diagnosis care plans and 63 disease/disorder care plans.
- Maternal Newborn Nursing Care Plans (3rd Edition)
If you’re looking for specific care plans related to maternal and newborn nursing care, this book is for you.
- Nursing Diagnosis Manual: Planning, Individualizing, and Documenting Client Care (7th Edition)
An easy-to-use nursing care plan book that is updated with the latest diagnosis from NANDA-I 2021-2023.
- All-in-One Nursing Care Planning Resource: Medical-Surgical, Pediatric, Maternity, and Psychiatric-Mental Health (5th Edition)
Definitely an all-in-one resources for nursing care planning. It has over 100 care plans for different nursing topics.
Other recommended site resources for this nursing care plan:
- Nursing Care Plans (NCP): Ultimate Guide and Database MUST READ!
Over 150+ nursing care plans for different diseases and conditions. Includes our easy-to-follow guide on how to create nursing care plans from scratch.
- Nursing Diagnosis Guide and List: All You Need to Know to Master Diagnosing
Our comprehensive guide on how to create and write diagnostic labels. Includes detailed nursing care plan guides for common nursing diagnostic labels.
Other nursing care plans for pediatric conditions and diseases:
- Acute Glomerulonephritis | 4 Care Plans
- Acute Rheumatic Fever | 4 Care Plans
- Apnea | 4 Care Plans
- Brain Tumor | 3 Care Plans
- Bronchiolitis | 5 Care Plans
- Cardiac Catheterization | 4 Care Plans
- Cerebral Palsy | 7 Care Plans
- Child Abuse | 4 Care Plans
- Cleft Lip and Cleft Palate | 6 Care Plans
- Congenital Heart Disease | 5 Care Plans
- Congenital Hip Dysplasia | 4 Care Plans
- Croup Syndrome | 5 Care Plans
- Cryptorchidism (Undescended Testes) | 3 Care Plans
- Cystic Fibrosis | 5 Care Plans
- Diabetes Mellitus Type 1 (Juvenile Diabetes) | 4 Care Plans
- Dying Child | 4 Care Plans
- Epiglottitis | 5 Care Plans
- Febrile Seizure | 4 Care Plans
- Guillain-Barre Syndrome | 6 Care Plans
- Hospitalized Child | 5 Care Plans
- Hydrocephalus | 5 Care Plans
- Hypospadias and Epispadias | 4 Care Plans
- Intussusception | 3 Care Plans
- Juvenile Rheumatoid Arthritis | 4 Care Plans
- Kawasaki Disease | 6 Care Plans
- Meningitis | 7 Care Plans
- Nephrotic Syndrome | 5 Care Plans
- Osteogenic Sarcoma (Osteosarcoma) | 4 Care Plans
- Otitis Media | 4 Care Plans
- Scoliosis | 4 Care Plans
- Spina Bifida | 7 Care Plans
- Tonsillitis and Adenoiditis | 4 Care Plans
- Umbilical and Inguinal Hernia | 4 Care Plans
- Vesicoureteral Reflux (VUR) | 5 Care Plans
- Wilms Tumor (Nephroblastoma) | 4 Care Plans