Cushing’s Disease (Cushing’s Syndrome; Hypercortisolism; Adrenal Hyperfunction) is a cluster of clinical abnormalities caused by excessive levels of adrenocortical hormones (particularly cortisol) or related corticosteroids and, to a lesser extent, androgens and aldosterone. The disorder is caused by adrenocortical hyperplasia (overgrowth of adrenal cortex) secondary to pituitary overproduction of adrenocorticotropic hormone (ACTH), benign or malignant adrenal tumors that release excess glucocorticoids into the blood, prolonged or excessive administration of corticosteroids. The disease results in altered fat distribution, compromised immune system, disturbances in protein metabolism, and fluid and electrolyte imbalances.
Nursing Care Plans
Changes in the physical appearance associated with Cushing’s disease can have a notable influence on client’s body image and emotional well-being. The focus of this care plan is promoting skin integrity, improving body image, decreasing the risk of injury and improving thought processes.
- Risk For Excess Fluid Volume
- Risk For Injury
- Risk For Infection
- Deficient Knowledge
- Disturbed Body Image
- Disturbed Thought Processes
Risk For Infection
May be related to
- Altered protein metabolism.
- High serum cortisol level
- Impaired immune response
Possibly evidenced by
- [not applicable].
- Client will identify interventions to prevent risk for infection.
- Client will display an absence of infection as evidenced by normal body temperature and normal white blood cell count.
|Assess frequently for subtle signs of infections.||Corticosteroids mask signs of inﬂammation and infection.|
|Avoid unnecessary exposure to people with infections.||Cortisol suppresses the immune system. Therefore clients may develop infection more frequently.|
|Stress the importance of adequate rest.||A client who is under long-term stress tends to suffer from bacterial infection, cold, and flu viruses.|
|Use strict medical and surgical asepsis when providing care.||A hospitalized client is susceptible to infection from a variety of bacteria, viruses, fungi and other microorganisms that live naturally on the skin and in the hospital.|
|Encourage turning, coughing, and deep breathing and incentive spirometry every 2–4 hours.||This will assist in the mobilization of secretions.|
|Stress proper handwashing techniques.||Handwashing serves as the first-line defense against cross-contamination/nosocomial infections.|
|Emphasized the importance of good nutrition.||Adequate nutrition enhances immune system natural defense mechanism|
You may also like the following posts and care plans:
- Nursing Care Plan: The Ultimate Guide and Database – the ultimate database of nursing care plans for different diseases and conditions! Get the complete list!
- Nursing Diagnosis: The Complete Guide and List – archive of different nursing diagnoses with their definition, related factors, goals and nursing interventions with rationale.
Endocrine and Metabolic Care Plans
Nursing care plans related to the endocrine system and metabolism:
- Acid-Base Balance
- - Respiratory Acidosis Nursing Care Plan
- - Respiratory Alkalosis Nursing Care Plan
- - Metabolic Acidosis Nursing Care Plan
- - Metabolic Alkalosis Nursing Care Plan
- Addison's Disease | 3 Care Plans
- Cushing’s Disease | 6 Care Plans
- Diabetes Mellitus Type 1 (Juvenile Diabetes) | 4 Care Plans
- Diabetes Mellitus Type 2 | 13+ Care Plans
- Diabetic Ketoacidosis (DKA) and Hyperglycemic Hyperosmolar Nonketotic Syndrome (HHNS) | 4 Care Plans
- Eating Disorders: Anorexia & Bulimia Nervosa | 7 Care Plans
- Fluid and Electrolyte Imbalances | 10 Care Plans
- - Fluid Balance: Hypervolemia & Hypovolemia
- - Potassium (K) Imbalances: Hyperkalemia and Hypokalemia
- - Sodium (Na) Imbalances: Hypernatremia and Hyponatremia
- - Magnesium (Mg) Imbalances: Hypermagnesemia and Hypomagnesemia
- - Calcium (Ca) Imbalances: Hypercalcemia and Hypocalcemia
- Gestational Diabetes Mellitus | 4 Care Plans
- Hyperthyroidism | 7 Care Plans
- Hypothyroidism | 3 Care Plans
- Obesity | 4 Care Plans
- Thyroidectomy | 5 Care Plans