Urinary tract infections (UTI) are caused by pathogenic microorganisms in the urinary tract (kidney, bladder, urethra). Most UTIs are caused by the bacterium Escherichia coli (E. coli), normally found in the digestive system. Usually, bacteria that enter the urinary tract system are removed by the body before they can cause symptoms. But, in some cases, bacteria overcome the natural defenses of the body, therefore causes infection. UTIs are usually classified as infections involving the upper or lower urinary tract. An infection in the urethra is called urethritis. A bladder infection is called cystitis. Bacteria may ascend to the ureters to multiply and cause the infection of the kidneys (pyelonephritis). Signs and symptoms of urinary tract infections include; fever, chills, a strong, persistent urge to urinate, burning sensation when urinating, cloudy, foul-smelling urine, and pelvic pain in women.
Nursing Care Plans
The focus of this nursing care plan for urinary tract infections includes nursing interventions to relieve pain and discomfort, increase the client’s knowledge about the preventive measures and treatment regimen, and manage potential complications.
- Acute Pain UPDATED
- Impaired Urinary Elimination UPDATED
- Hyperthermia UPDATED
- Deficient Knowledge UPDATED
- Other possible nursing care plans
Other Nursing Care Plans
Additional nursing diagnoses you can use to create your own nursing care plans for urinary tract infections.
- Disturbed Sleep Pattern related to pain, nocturia.
- Risk for Urge Urinary Incontinence.
- Risk for Ineffective Renal Tissue Perfusion.
- Urinary Retention.
Recommended nursing diagnosis and nursing care plan books and resources.
- Nursing Care Plans: Nursing Diagnosis and Intervention (10th Edition)
An awesome book to help you create and customize effective nursing care plans. We highly recommend this book for its completeness and ease of use.
- Nurse’s Pocket Guide: Diagnoses, Prioritized Interventions and Rationales
A quick-reference tool to easily select the appropriate nursing diagnosis to plan your patient’s care effectively.
- NANDA International Nursing Diagnoses: Definitions & Classification, 2021-2023 (12th Edition)
The official and definitive guide to nursing diagnoses as reviewed and approved by the NANDA-I. This book focuses on the nursing diagnostic labels, their defining characteristics, and risk factors – this does not include nursing interventions and rationales.
- Nursing Diagnosis Handbook, 12th Edition Revised Reprint with 2021-2023 NANDA-I® Updates
Another great nursing care plan resource that is updated to include the recent NANDA-I updates.
- Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders, Fifth Edition (DSM-5(TM))
Useful for creating nursing care plans related to mental health and psychiatric nursing.
- Ulrich & Canale’s Nursing Care Planning Guides, 8th Edition
Claims to have the most in-depth care plans of any nursing care planning book. Includes 31 detailed nursing diagnosis care plans and 63 disease/disorder care plans.
- Maternal Newborn Nursing Care Plans (3rd Edition)
If you’re looking for specific care plans related to maternal and newborn nursing care, this book is for you.
- Nursing Diagnosis Manual: Planning, Individualizing, and Documenting Client Care (7th Edition)
An easy-to-use nursing care plan book that is updated with the latest diagnosis from NANDA-I 2021-2023.
- All-in-One Nursing Care Planning Resource: Medical-Surgical, Pediatric, Maternity, and Psychiatric-Mental Health (5th Edition)
Definitely an all-in-one resources for nursing care planning. It has over 100 care plans for different nursing topics.
Other recommended site resources for this nursing care plan:
- Nursing Care Plans (NCP): Ultimate Guide and Database
Over 150+ nursing care plans for different diseases and conditions. Includes our easy-to-follow guide on how to create nursing care plans from scratch.
- Nursing Diagnosis Guide and List: All You Need to Know to Master Diagnosing
Our comprehensive guide on how to create and write diagnostic labels. Includes detailed nursing care plan guides for common nursing diagnostic labels.
Other care plans and nursing diagnoses related to reproductive and urinary system disorders:
- Acute Glomerulonephritis | 4 Care Plans
- Acute Renal Failure | 6 Care Plans
- Benign Prostatic Hyperplasia (BPH) | 5 Care Plans
- Chronic Renal Failure | 11 Care Plans
- Hemodialysis | 3 Care Plans
- Hysterectomy (TAHBSO) | 6 Care Plans
- Mastectomy | 14+ Care Plans
- Menopause | 6 Care Plans
- Nephrotic Syndrome | 5 Care Plans
- Peritoneal Dialysis | 6 Care Plans
- Prostatectomy | 6 Care Plans
- Urolithiasis (Renal Calculi) | 4 Care Plans
- Urinary Tract Infection | 4 Care Plans
- Vesicoureteral Reflux (VUR) | 5 Care Plans
References and Sources
- Flores-Mireles, A., Hreha, T. N., & Hunstad, D. A. (2019). Pathophysiology, treatment, and prevention of catheter-associated urinary tract infection. Topics in spinal cord injury rehabilitation, 25(3), 228-240.
- Gupta, K., Grigoryan, L., & Trautner, B. (2017). Urinary tract infection. Annals of internal medicine, 167(7), ITC49-ITC64.
- Lee, J. B., & Neild, G. H. (2007). Urinary tract infection. Medicine, 35(8), 423-428.
- Storme, O., Tiran Saucedo, J., Garcia-Mora, A., Dehesa-Dávila, M., & Naber, K. G. (2019). Risk factors and predisposing conditions for urinary tract infection. Therapeutic advances in urology, 11, 1756287218814382.