Laminectomy is a surgery that involves the excision of a vertebral posterior arch and is commonly performed for injury to the spinal column or to relieve pressure/pain in the presence of a herniated disc. Also known as decompression surgery, the procedure may be done with or without fusion of vertebrae.
Nursing Care Plans
Nursing care planning and goals for patients who underwent disc surgery (laminectomy) includes maintaining tissue perfusion and neurological function, promoting comfort and healing, preventing or minimizing complications, assist with the return of normal mobility.
- Impaired Physical Mobility
- Ineffective Tissue Perfusion
- Risk for Trauma
- Ineffective Breathing Pattern
- Acute Pain
- Risk for Urinary Retention
- Deficient Knowledge
- Other Nursing Diagnoses
Impaired Physical Mobility
May be related to
- Neuromuscular impairment
- Limitations imposed by the condition
Possibly evidenced by
- Impaired coordination, limited ROM
- Reluctance to attempt movement
- Decreased muscle strength/control
- Client will demonstrate techniques/behaviors that enable resumption of activities.
- Client will maintain or increase the strength and function of the affected body part.
|Encourage the patient to move his legs, as allowed.||Patient participation promotes independence and sense of control.|
|Work closely with the physical therapy department.||To ensure a consistent regimen of leg-and-back-strengthening exercises.|
|Schedule activity and procedures with rest periods. Encourage participation in ADLs within individual limitations.||Enhances healing and builds muscle strength and endurance. Patient participation promotes independence and sense of control.|
|Provide and assist with passive and active ROM exercises depending on the surgical procedure.||Strengthens abdominal muscles and flexors of spine; promotes good body mechanics.|
|Assist with activity and progressive ambulation.||Until healing occurs, activity is limited and advanced slowly according to individual tolerance.|
|Review proper body mechanics and techniques for participation in activities.||Reduces risk of muscle strain, injury, pain and increases the likelihood of patient involvement in progressive activity.|
Recommended nursing diagnosis and nursing care plan books and resources.
- Nursing Care Plans: Nursing Diagnosis and Intervention (10th Edition)
An awesome book to help you create and customize effective nursing care plans. We highly recommend this book for its completeness and ease of use.
- Nurse’s Pocket Guide: Diagnoses, Prioritized Interventions and Rationales
A quick-reference tool to easily select the appropriate nursing diagnosis to plan your patient’s care effectively.
- NANDA International Nursing Diagnoses: Definitions & Classification, 2021-2023 (12th Edition)
The official and definitive guide to nursing diagnoses as reviewed and approved by the NANDA-I. This book focuses on the nursing diagnostic labels, their defining characteristics, and risk factors – this does not include nursing interventions and rationales.
- Nursing Diagnosis Handbook, 12th Edition Revised Reprint with 2021-2023 NANDA-I® Updates
Another great nursing care plan resource that is updated to include the recent NANDA-I updates.
- Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders, Fifth Edition (DSM-5(TM))
Useful for creating nursing care plans related to mental health and psychiatric nursing.
- Ulrich & Canale’s Nursing Care Planning Guides, 8th Edition
Claims to have the most in-depth care plans of any nursing care planning book. Includes 31 detailed nursing diagnosis care plans and 63 disease/disorder care plans.
- Maternal Newborn Nursing Care Plans (3rd Edition)
If you’re looking for specific care plans related to maternal and newborn nursing care, this book is for you.
- Nursing Diagnosis Manual: Planning, Individualizing, and Documenting Client Care (7th Edition)
An easy-to-use nursing care plan book that is updated with the latest diagnosis from NANDA-I 2021-2023.
- All-in-One Nursing Care Planning Resource: Medical-Surgical, Pediatric, Maternity, and Psychiatric-Mental Health (5th Edition)
Definitely an all-in-one resources for nursing care planning. It has over 100 care plans for different nursing topics.
Other recommended site resources for this nursing care plan:
- Nursing Care Plans (NCP): Ultimate Guide and Database
Over 150+ nursing care plans for different diseases and conditions. Includes our easy-to-follow guide on how to create nursing care plans from scratch.
- Nursing Diagnosis Guide and List: All You Need to Know to Master Diagnosing
Our comprehensive guide on how to create and write diagnostic labels. Includes detailed nursing care plan guides for common nursing diagnostic labels.
Other nursing care plans for musculoskeletal disorders and conditions:
- Amputation | 4 Care Plans
- Congenital Hip Dysplasia | 4 Care Plans
- Fracture | 11 Care Plans
- Juvenile Rheumatoid Arthritis | 4 Care Plans
- Laminectomy (Disc Surgery) | 8 Care Plans
- Osteoarthritis | 4 Care Plans
- Osteoporosis | 4 Care Plans
- Rheumatoid Arthritis | 6 Care Plans
- Scoliosis | 4 Care Plans
- Spinal Cord Injury | 12 Care Plans
- Total Joint (Knee, Hip) Replacement | 5 Care Plans