Laminectomy is a surgical procedure performed to relieve pressure on the spinal cord and nerves by removing a portion of the vertebral lamina. This procedure is commonly performed on patients who suffer from spinal stenosis, herniated discs, or spinal tumors. As a nurse, it’s essential to understand laminectomy nursing care plans and nursing diagnoses to provide the best possible care for your patients.
What is laminectomy?
Laminectomy is a surgery that involves the excision of a vertebral posterior arch and is commonly performed for injury to the spinal column or to relieve pressure/pain in the presence of a herniated disc. Also known as decompression surgery, the procedure may be done with or without the fusion of vertebrae.
Nursing Care Plans
Nursing care planning and goals for patients who underwent disc surgery (laminectomy) include maintaining tissue perfusion and neurological function, promoting comfort and healing, preventing or minimizing complications, assist with the return of normal mobility.
Below are eight (8) nursing care plans (NCP) and nursing diagnoses for a patient who underwent a laminectomy (disc surgery):
- Impaired Physical Mobility
- Ineffective Tissue Perfusion
- Risk for Trauma
- Ineffective Breathing Pattern
- Acute Pain
- Risk for Urinary Retention
- Deficient Knowledge
- Other Nursing Diagnoses
Impaired Physical Mobility
May be related to
- Neuromuscular impairment
- Limitations imposed by the condition
Possibly evidenced by
- Impaired coordination, limited ROM
- Reluctance to attempt movement
- Decreased muscle strength/control
- The client will demonstrate techniques/behaviors that enable the resumption of activities.
- The client will maintain or increase the strength and function of the affected body part.
Nursing Interventions and Rationales
1. Encourage the patient to move his legs, as allowed.
Patient participation promotes independence and a sense of control.
2. Work closely with the physical therapy department.
To ensure a consistent regimen of leg-and-back-strengthening exercises.
3. Schedule activities and procedures with rest periods. Encourage participation in ADLs within individual limitations.
Enhances healing and builds muscle strength and endurance. Patient participation promotes independence and a sense of control.
4. Provide and assist with passive and active ROM exercises depending on the surgical procedure.
Strengthens abdominal muscles and flexors of the spine; promotes good body mechanics.
5. Assist with activity and progressive ambulation.
Until healing occurs, activity is limited and advanced slowly according to individual tolerance.
6. Review proper body mechanics and techniques for participation in activities.
Reduces the risk of muscle strain, injury, and pain and increases the likelihood of patient involvement in the progressive activity.
Recommended nursing diagnosis and nursing care plan books and resources.
Ackley and Ladwig’s Nursing Diagnosis Handbook: An Evidence-Based Guide to Planning Care
We love this book because of its evidence-based approach to nursing interventions. This care plan handbook uses an easy, three-step system to guide you through client assessment, nursing diagnosis, and care planning. Includes step-by-step instructions showing how to implement care and evaluate outcomes, and help you build skills in diagnostic reasoning and critical thinking.
Nursing Care Plans – Nursing Diagnosis & Intervention (10th Edition)
Includes over two hundred care plans that reflect the most recent evidence-based guidelines. New to this edition are ICNP diagnoses, care plans on LGBTQ health issues and on electrolytes and acid-base balance.
NANDA International Nursing Diagnoses: Definitions & Classification, 2021-2023
The definitive guide to nursing diagnoses is reviewed and approved by the NANDA International. In this new version of a pioneering text, all introductory chapters have been rewritten to provide nurses with the essential information they need to comprehend assessment, its relationship to diagnosis and clinical reasoning, and the purpose and application of taxonomic organization at the bedside. A total of 46 new nursing diagnoses and 67 amended nursing diagnostics are presented.
Nurse’s Pocket Guide: Diagnoses, Prioritized Interventions, and Rationales
Quick-reference tool includes all you need to identify the correct diagnoses for efficient patient care planning. The sixteenth edition includes the most recent nursing diagnoses and interventions from NANDA-I 2021-2023 and an alphabetized listing of nursing diagnoses covering more than 400 disorders.
Nursing Diagnosis Manual: Planning, Individualizing, and Documenting Client Care
Identify interventions to plan, individualize, and document care for more than 800 diseases and disorders. Only in the Nursing Diagnosis Manual will you find for each diagnosis…. subjectively and objectively – sample clinical applications, prioritized action/interventions with rationales – a documentation section, and much more!
All-in-One Nursing Care Planning Resource – E-Book: Medical-Surgical, Pediatric, Maternity, and Psychiatric-Mental Health
Includes over 100 care plans for medical-surgical, maternity/OB, pediatrics, and psychiatric and mental health. Interprofessional “patient problems” focus familiarizes you with how to speak to patients.
Other recommended site resources for this nursing care plan:
- Nursing Care Plans (NCP): Ultimate Guide and Database MUST READ!
Over 150+ nursing care plans for different diseases and conditions. Includes our easy-to-follow guide on how to create nursing care plans from scratch.
- Nursing Diagnosis Guide and List: All You Need to Know to Master Diagnosing
Our comprehensive guide on how to create and write diagnostic labels. Includes detailed nursing care plan guides for common nursing diagnostic labels.
Other nursing care plans for musculoskeletal disorders and conditions:
- Amputation | 4 Care Plans
- Congenital Hip Dysplasia | 4 Care Plans
- Fracture | 11 Care Plans
- Juvenile Rheumatoid Arthritis | 4 Care Plans
- Laminectomy (Disc Surgery) | 8 Care Plans
- Osteoarthritis | 4 Care Plans
- Osteoporosis | 4 Care Plans
- Rheumatoid Arthritis | 6 Care Plans
- Scoliosis | 4 Care Plans
- Spinal Cord Injury | 12 Care Plans
- Total Joint (Knee, Hip) Replacement | 5 Care Plans
1 thought on “8 Laminectomy (Disc Surgery) Nursing Care Plans”
Realy amazing and i surprize to see it verry good website for nurse