Hypospadias and epispadias are congenital anomalies of the penis that result in the incomplete development of the anterior urethra. In hypospadias, the urethral opening is located along the underside of the penis, near the tip. In epispadias, the urethral opening is on the upper surface (dorsum) of the penis.
The incidence of this defect in the United States is approximately 3.2 in 1,000 live male births or about 1 in every 300 male children. The cause of this defect is unknown but is associated with genetics, low birth weights, and by race/ethnic background (more common in whites, Italians, and Jews). Chordee, an abnormal curvature of the penis, is usually linked with hypospadias. Other associated anomalies include undescended testes, an inguinal hernia, and Wilms tumor.
The goal of treatment of this anomaly is to reconstruct a straight penis with a meatus close to the normal anatomic location. Usually, the surgical repair is recommended to be done in the early year of life to prevent psychological trauma. Currently, the recommended age for urethroplasty (hypospadias/epispadias repair) is between 3 to 12 months of age and for orthoplasty (chordee repair) is during the first year of the child.
Nursing Care Plans
Major nursing care plan objectives for the child with hypospadias or epispadias include improving the child’s physical appearance, ensuring a positive body image, providing relief of pain and discomfort, decreasing parental anxiety, and absence of complications (bleeding, infection, catheter obstruction and sexual dysfunction).
May be related to
Possibly evidenced by
- Verbalization of pain
- Irritability, restlessness
- Distractive behavior
- Changes in vital signs
- Child will experience decreased pain as evidenced by infrequent crying episodes and exhibit normal sleeping pattern.
|Assess location, characteristics, onset, duration, frequency, location, and severity of pain; Observe for verbal and nonverbal cues.||Provides data about the description of pain which can be used as a guideline for analgesic therapy.|
|Maintain a position of comfort; Properly set the catheter to avoid tension and kinking.||Promotes comfort and avoids pain due to pulling on or manipulating catheter.|
|Encourage use of relaxation techniques.||Promotes rest and refocus attention thus decreases discomfort.|
|Apply ice compress as indicated.||Relieves pain and decreases edema.|
|Administer analgesic (e.g., Tylenol) as ordered.||Lessens pain and promotes rest which reduces stimuli and pain.|
|Educate parents that medications will prevent pain and restlessness and allow for healing.||Provides information about the need for pain medications for child’s comfort.|
Recommended nursing diagnosis and nursing care plan books and resources.
- Nursing Care Plans: Nursing Diagnosis and Intervention (10th Edition)
An awesome book to help you create and customize effective nursing care plans. We highly recommend this book for its completeness and ease of use.
- Nurse’s Pocket Guide: Diagnoses, Prioritized Interventions and Rationales
A quick-reference tool to easily select the appropriate nursing diagnosis to plan your patient’s care effectively.
- NANDA International Nursing Diagnoses: Definitions & Classification, 2021-2023 (12th Edition)
The official and definitive guide to nursing diagnoses as reviewed and approved by the NANDA-I. This book focuses on the nursing diagnostic labels, their defining characteristics, and risk factors – this does not include nursing interventions and rationales.
- Nursing Diagnosis Handbook, 12th Edition Revised Reprint with 2021-2023 NANDA-I® Updates
Another great nursing care plan resource that is updated to include the recent NANDA-I updates.
- Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders, Fifth Edition (DSM-5(TM))
Useful for creating nursing care plans related to mental health and psychiatric nursing.
- Ulrich & Canale’s Nursing Care Planning Guides, 8th Edition
Claims to have the most in-depth care plans of any nursing care planning book. Includes 31 detailed nursing diagnosis care plans and 63 disease/disorder care plans.
- Maternal Newborn Nursing Care Plans (3rd Edition)
If you’re looking for specific care plans related to maternal and newborn nursing care, this book is for you.
- Nursing Diagnosis Manual: Planning, Individualizing, and Documenting Client Care (7th Edition)
An easy-to-use nursing care plan book that is updated with the latest diagnosis from NANDA-I 2021-2023.
- All-in-One Nursing Care Planning Resource: Medical-Surgical, Pediatric, Maternity, and Psychiatric-Mental Health (5th Edition)
Definitely an all-in-one resources for nursing care planning. It has over 100 care plans for different nursing topics.
Other recommended site resources for this nursing care plan:
- Nursing Care Plans (NCP): Ultimate Guide and Database
Over 150+ nursing care plans for different diseases and conditions. Includes our easy-to-follow guide on how to create nursing care plans from scratch.
- Nursing Diagnosis Guide and List: All You Need to Know to Master Diagnosing
Our comprehensive guide on how to create and write diagnostic labels. Includes detailed nursing care plan guides for common nursing diagnostic labels.
Other nursing care plans for pediatric conditions and diseases:
- Acute Glomerulonephritis | 4 Care Plans
- Acute Rheumatic Fever | 4 Care Plans
- Apnea | 4 Care Plans
- Brain Tumor | 3 Care Plans
- Bronchiolitis | 5 Care Plans
- Cardiac Catheterization | 4 Care Plans
- Cerebral Palsy | 7 Care Plans
- Child Abuse | 4 Care Plans
- Cleft Lip and Cleft Palate | 6 Care Plans
- Congenital Heart Disease | 5 Care Plans
- Congenital Hip Dysplasia | 4 Care Plans
- Croup Syndrome | 5 Care Plans
- Cryptorchidism (Undescended Testes) | 3 Care Plans
- Cystic Fibrosis | 5 Care Plans
- Diabetes Mellitus Type 1 (Juvenile Diabetes) | 4 Care Plans
- Dying Child | 4 Care Plans
- Epiglottitis | 5 Care Plans
- Febrile Seizure | 4 Care Plans
- Guillain-Barre Syndrome | 6 Care Plans
- Hospitalized Child | 5 Care Plans
- Hydrocephalus | 5 Care Plans
- Hypospadias and Epispadias | 4 Care Plans
- Intussusception | 3 Care Plans
- Juvenile Rheumatoid Arthritis | 4 Care Plans
- Kawasaki Disease | 6 Care Plans
- Meningitis | 7 Care Plans
- Nephrotic Syndrome | 5 Care Plans
- Osteogenic Sarcoma (Osteosarcoma) | 4 Care Plans
- Otitis Media | 4 Care Plans
- Scoliosis | 4 Care Plans
- Spina Bifida | 7 Care Plans
- Tonsillitis and Adenoiditis | 4 Care Plans
- Umbilical and Inguinal Hernia | 4 Care Plans
- Vesicoureteral Reflux (VUR) | 5 Care Plans
- Wilms Tumor (Nephroblastoma) | 4 Care Plans