Osteogenic sarcoma (Osteosarcoma) is a primary bone malignancy that usually affects the metaphysics of the long bones (femur, humerus, and tibia). The most common symptoms of osteosarcoma are dull aching pain and swelling in the bone or joint around the tumor. The disease most commonly occurs in children, teenagers, and young adults between the ages of 10 and 20 and it is prevalent in males than females.
Management consists of a combination of treatment that includes amputation of the limb with chemotherapy before and/or following surgery, or a bone and joint prosthesis in selected children to restore the limb with chemotherapy prior the surgery.
Nursing Care Plans
- Ineffective Protection
May be related to
Possibly evidenced by
- Altered blood coagulation
- Bone marrow suppression
- Impaired immunity against infection
- Hematoma, petechiae, hematochezia, hematemesis, bleeding from nose or gums.
- Child will not experience bleeding episode.
- Child’s temperature will remain <100° F
- Child’s breath sounds will be clear bilaterally.
|Monitor for any signs of bleeding and febrile episodes; Note laboratory findings: WBC, platelet count, Hct, and absolute neutrophil count.||Provides knowledge on any obvious, visible presence of bleeding or abnormal blood profile that predispose to bleeding due to bone marrow suppression and immunosuppression resulting from chemotherapy.|
|Inform parents and child to avoid exposure to people with upper respiratory infection or any illness.||Prevents a highly susceptible child to acquire an infection.|
|Encourage parents and child to avoid contact play or sports, straining at defecation, forcefully blowing nose.||Prevents injury that may possibly result in bleeding.|
|Inform parents to notify health care provider for signs of increased temperature, changes in behavior, headache, dizziness, fatigue, pallor, bleeding episode, exposure to a communicable disease.||Signifies a complication related to an abnormal blood profile.|
|Teach handwashing technique before providing care, using of protective gear such as mask and gown when appropriate, providing a private room, monitor for any signs and symptoms of infections.||Prevents transmission of a microorganism to a compromised immune system during chemotherapy if neutrophil count is less than 1,000/cu mm.|
|Discourage the use of hard toothbrush, obtaining rectal temperatures, undergoing unnecessary invasive procedures.||Prevents the occurrence of bleeding caused by during chemotherapy which alters platelet and clotting factors.|
|Teach and demonstrate on how to get urine and stool sample using dipstick and hematest.||Determines the presence of bleeding in the gastrointestinal or urinary tract.|
Recommended nursing diagnosis and nursing care plan books and resources.
- Nursing Care Plans: Nursing Diagnosis and Intervention (10th Edition)
An awesome book to help you create and customize effective nursing care plans. We highly recommend this book for its completeness and ease of use.
- Nurse’s Pocket Guide: Diagnoses, Prioritized Interventions and Rationales
A quick-reference tool to easily select the appropriate nursing diagnosis to plan your patient’s care effectively.
- NANDA International Nursing Diagnoses: Definitions & Classification, 2021-2023 (12th Edition)
The official and definitive guide to nursing diagnoses as reviewed and approved by the NANDA-I. This book focuses on the nursing diagnostic labels, their defining characteristics, and risk factors – this does not include nursing interventions and rationales.
- Nursing Diagnosis Handbook, 12th Edition Revised Reprint with 2021-2023 NANDA-I® Updates
Another great nursing care plan resource that is updated to include the recent NANDA-I updates.
- Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders, Fifth Edition (DSM-5(TM))
Useful for creating nursing care plans related to mental health and psychiatric nursing.
- Ulrich & Canale’s Nursing Care Planning Guides, 8th Edition
Claims to have the most in-depth care plans of any nursing care planning book. Includes 31 detailed nursing diagnosis care plans and 63 disease/disorder care plans.
- Maternal Newborn Nursing Care Plans (3rd Edition)
If you’re looking for specific care plans related to maternal and newborn nursing care, this book is for you.
- Nursing Diagnosis Manual: Planning, Individualizing, and Documenting Client Care (7th Edition)
An easy-to-use nursing care plan book that is updated with the latest diagnosis from NANDA-I 2021-2023.
- All-in-One Nursing Care Planning Resource: Medical-Surgical, Pediatric, Maternity, and Psychiatric-Mental Health (5th Edition)
Definitely an all-in-one resources for nursing care planning. It has over 100 care plans for different nursing topics.
Other recommended site resources for this nursing care plan:
- Nursing Care Plans (NCP): Ultimate Guide and Database MUST READ!
Over 150+ nursing care plans for different diseases and conditions. Includes our easy-to-follow guide on how to create nursing care plans from scratch.
- Nursing Diagnosis Guide and List: All You Need to Know to Master Diagnosing
Our comprehensive guide on how to create and write diagnostic labels. Includes detailed nursing care plan guides for common nursing diagnostic labels.
Other nursing care plans for pediatric conditions and diseases:
- Acute Glomerulonephritis | 4 Care Plans
- Acute Rheumatic Fever | 4 Care Plans
- Apnea | 4 Care Plans
- Brain Tumor | 3 Care Plans
- Bronchiolitis | 5 Care Plans
- Cardiac Catheterization | 4 Care Plans
- Cerebral Palsy | 7 Care Plans
- Child Abuse | 4 Care Plans
- Cleft Lip and Cleft Palate | 6 Care Plans
- Congenital Heart Disease | 5 Care Plans
- Congenital Hip Dysplasia | 4 Care Plans
- Croup Syndrome | 5 Care Plans
- Cryptorchidism (Undescended Testes) | 3 Care Plans
- Cystic Fibrosis | 5 Care Plans
- Diabetes Mellitus Type 1 (Juvenile Diabetes) | 4 Care Plans
- Dying Child | 4 Care Plans
- Epiglottitis | 5 Care Plans
- Febrile Seizure | 4 Care Plans
- Guillain-Barre Syndrome | 6 Care Plans
- Hospitalized Child | 5 Care Plans
- Hydrocephalus | 5 Care Plans
- Hypospadias and Epispadias | 4 Care Plans
- Intussusception | 3 Care Plans
- Juvenile Rheumatoid Arthritis | 4 Care Plans
- Kawasaki Disease | 6 Care Plans
- Meningitis | 7 Care Plans
- Nephrotic Syndrome | 5 Care Plans
- Osteogenic Sarcoma (Osteosarcoma) | 4 Care Plans
- Otitis Media | 4 Care Plans
- Scoliosis | 4 Care Plans
- Spina Bifida | 7 Care Plans
- Tonsillitis and Adenoiditis | 4 Care Plans
- Umbilical and Inguinal Hernia | 4 Care Plans
- Vesicoureteral Reflux (VUR) | 5 Care Plans
- Wilms Tumor (Nephroblastoma) | 4 Care Plans