Mastectomy is the surgical removal of one or both breasts either partially or completely. A mastectomy is usually carried out to treat or prevent breast cancer. Surgical management for patients with breast cancer usually involves lumpectomy or mastectomy. In many cases, radiation therapy is combined with surgery.
Types of breast surgery include:
- Total (simple) mastectomy – removal of breast tissue and nipple
- Modified radical mastectomy – removal of the breast, most of the lymph nodes under the arm, and often the lining over the chest muscles
- Lumpectomy – surgery to remove the tumor and a small amount of normal tissue around it
Nursing Care Plans
Providing perioperative nursing care for patients who are to undergo Mastectomy is an integral part of the therapeutic regimen. The nursing goal is to provide support, alleviating anxiety, managing pain, and providing information.
- Impaired Skin Integrity
- Acute Pain
- Situational Low Self-Esteem
- Impaired Physical Mobility
- Deficient Knowledge
- Risk for Injury
- Impaired Skin Integrity
- Activity Intolerance
- Risk for Ineffective Breathing Pattern
- Risk for Infection
- Ineffective Therapeutic Management
- Risk for Dysfunctional Grieving
- Ineffective Peripheral Tissue Perfusion
- Other Possible Nursing Care Plans
Ineffective Therapeutic Management
With an ongoing changes in health care, patients are being expected to be co-managers of their care. They are being discharged from hospitals earlier, and are face with increasing complex therapeutic regimens to be handled in the home environment. Likewise, patients with chronic illness often have limited access to health care providers and are expected assume responsibility for managing the nuances of their disease. Patient’s with sensory perception deficits, altered cognition, financial limitations,and those lacking support system may find themselves overwhelmed and unable to follow the treatment plan. Elderly patients, who often experience most of the above problems, are specially at high risk for ineffective management of the therapeutic plan.
- Unable to meet the goals of a treatment
- Knowledge deficit of prescribed regimen
- Perceived seriousness
- Difficulties with prescribed regimen
- Client will verbalize acceptance of need and desire to change actions to achieve agreed-on outcomes
- Client will participate in problem-solving of factors interfering with the integration of therapeutic regimen
|Assess for related factors that may negatively affect success with the following regimen||Patient’s perceived seriousness and threat of disease affect his or her compliance with the program.|
|Assess patients confidence or her ability to perform the desired behavior||Positive conviction that one can be advised successfully executive a behavior is correlated with performance and successful outcomes.|
|Assess the patient’s ability to learn or remember the desired health-related activity||Cognitive impairments need to be an alternative plan can be advised.|
|Assess patients ability to perform the desired activity||Patient’s with limited financial may unable to purchase special foods.|
|Use therapeutic communication skills||To assist the client in a problem-solving solution.|
|Provide positive reinforcement for efforts||To encourage the continuation of desired behaviors.|
|Promote client and SO participation in planning and evaluating the process||Enhances commitment to plan, optimizing outcomes.|
|Assist client to develop strategies for monitoring therapeutic regimen||Promotes early recognition of changes, allowing a proactive response.|
|Identify home- and community-based nursing service||For assessment, follow-up care, and education in clients home.|
Recommended nursing diagnosis and nursing care plan books and resources.
- Nursing Care Plans: Nursing Diagnosis and Intervention (10th Edition)
An awesome book to help you create and customize effective nursing care plans. We highly recommend this book for its completeness and ease of use.
- Nurse’s Pocket Guide: Diagnoses, Prioritized Interventions and Rationales
A quick-reference tool to easily select the appropriate nursing diagnosis to plan your patient’s care effectively.
- NANDA International Nursing Diagnoses: Definitions & Classification, 2021-2023 (12th Edition)
The official and definitive guide to nursing diagnoses as reviewed and approved by the NANDA-I. This book focuses on the nursing diagnostic labels, their defining characteristics, and risk factors – this does not include nursing interventions and rationales.
- Nursing Diagnosis Handbook, 12th Edition Revised Reprint with 2021-2023 NANDA-I® Updates
Another great nursing care plan resource that is updated to include the recent NANDA-I updates.
- Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders, Fifth Edition (DSM-5(TM))
Useful for creating nursing care plans related to mental health and psychiatric nursing.
- Ulrich & Canale’s Nursing Care Planning Guides, 8th Edition
Claims to have the most in-depth care plans of any nursing care planning book. Includes 31 detailed nursing diagnosis care plans and 63 disease/disorder care plans.
- Maternal Newborn Nursing Care Plans (3rd Edition)
If you’re looking for specific care plans related to maternal and newborn nursing care, this book is for you.
- Nursing Diagnosis Manual: Planning, Individualizing, and Documenting Client Care (7th Edition)
An easy-to-use nursing care plan book that is updated with the latest diagnosis from NANDA-I 2021-2023.
- All-in-One Nursing Care Planning Resource: Medical-Surgical, Pediatric, Maternity, and Psychiatric-Mental Health (5th Edition)
Definitely an all-in-one resources for nursing care planning. It has over 100 care plans for different nursing topics.
Other recommended site resources for this nursing care plan:
- Nursing Care Plans (NCP): Ultimate Guide and Database MUST READ!
Over 150+ nursing care plans for different diseases and conditions. Includes our easy-to-follow guide on how to create nursing care plans from scratch.
- Nursing Diagnosis Guide and List: All You Need to Know to Master Diagnosing
Our comprehensive guide on how to create and write diagnostic labels. Includes detailed nursing care plan guides for common nursing diagnostic labels.
Other care plans and nursing diagnoses related to reproductive and urinary system disorders:
- Acute Glomerulonephritis | 4 Care Plans
- Acute Renal Failure | 6 Care Plans
- Benign Prostatic Hyperplasia (BPH) | 5 Care Plans
- Chronic Renal Failure | 11 Care Plans
- Hemodialysis | 3 Care Plans
- Hysterectomy (TAHBSO) | 6 Care Plans
- Mastectomy | 14+ Care Plans
- Menopause | 6 Care Plans
- Nephrotic Syndrome | 5 Care Plans
- Peritoneal Dialysis | 6 Care Plans
- Prostatectomy | 6 Care Plans
- Urolithiasis (Renal Calculi) | 4 Care Plans
- Urinary Tract Infection | 4 Care Plans
- Vesicoureteral Reflux (VUR) | 5 Care Plans