Pulmonary embolism refers to the obstruction of the pulmonary artery or one of its branches by a thrombus that originates somewhere in the venous system or in the right side of the heart. The clinical symptoms depend on the size and location of the embolus. Careful analysis of risk factors aids in diagnosis; these include hypercoagulability, damage to the walls of the veins, prolonged immobility, recent surgery, deep vein thrombosis, postpartum state, and medical conditions such as polycythemia, heart failure, and trauma. Treatment approaches vary depending on the degree of cardiopulmonary compromise associated with the PE. They can range from thrombolytic therapy in acute situations to anticoagulant therapy and general measures to optimize respiratory and vascular status (e.g., oxygen therapy, compression stockings).
Pulmonary embolism is a frequent hospital-acquired condition and one of the most common causes of death in hospitalized clients. Preventing thrombus formation is a critical nursing role.
Nursing Care Plans
Nursing care planning and goals for a client with pulmonary embolism include managing pain, relieving anxiety, providing oxygen therapy, preventing the formation of a thrombus (ambulation and passive leg exercises), monitoring thrombolytic therapy, decreasing the risk of pulmonary embolism, and preventing possible complication.
You may also like the following posts and care plans:
- Nursing Care Plan: The Ultimate Guide and Database – the ultimate database of nursing care plans for different diseases and conditions! Get the complete list!
- Nursing Diagnosis: The Complete Guide and List – archive of different nursing diagnoses with their definition, related factors, goals and nursing interventions with rationale.
Respiratory Care Plans
Care plans about respiratory system disorders:
- Asthma | 4 Care Plans
- Bronchiolitis | 5 Care Plans
- Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease (COPD) | 5+ Care Plans
- Cystic Fibrosis | 5 Care Plans
- Hemothorax and Pneumothorax | 3 Care Plans
- Influenza (Flu) | 5 Care Plans
- Lung Cancer | 5 Care Plans
- Mechanical Ventilation | 6 Care Plans
- Near-Drowning | 5 Care Plans
- Pleural Effusion | 6 Care Plans
- Pneumonia | 8+ Care Plans
- Pulmonary Embolism | 4 Care Plans
- Pulmonary Tuberculosis | 5 Care Plans
- Tracheostomy | 5 Care Plans