Elective Termination: Therapeutic abortion may be done to safeguard the woman’s health, or a voluntary abortion may be a woman’s reproductive decision.
Nursing Care Plans
The nursing plan of care of clients for elective termination includes assessing biopsychosocial status, giving appropriate instruction/information, promoting coping strategies and emotional support, and preventing postprocedural complications.
Here are six (6) nursing care plans for elective termination or therapeutic abortion:
- Acute Pain
- Deficient Knowledge
- Risk for Spiritual Distress
- Risk For Decisional Conflict
- Risk For Maternal Injury
Anxiety: Vague uneasy feeling of discomfort or dread accompanied by an autonomic response.
May be related to
- Situational/maturational crises.
- Unmet needs.
- Unconscious conflict about essential values/beliefs
Possibly evidenced by
- Fear of unspecified consequences.
- Focus on self.
- Impaired attention.
- Increased tension.
- Sympathetic stimulation
- Patient will recognize the presence of anxiety.
- Patient will identify the cause of anxiety.
- Patient will begin to use positive coping strategies to adjust to the situation.
- Patient will use resources/support systems effectively.
- Patient will report anxiety reduced to a manageable level.
|Recognize the client’s anxiety and encourage to express her feelings.||To assist the client in identifying feelings and begin to deal with problems.|
|Establish a therapeutic relationship, conveying empathy and unconditional positive regard.||To provide a positive attitude towards the client.|
|Provide comfort measures such as breathing and relaxation techniques.||This can influence physiological responses (BP, pulse, and respiration). Tense muscles may interfere with|
|Explain procedures before they are performed, and stay with the client to provide concurrent feedback.||A physical presence is reassuring and can increase cooperation and promote a sense of security.|
|Provide a support person/family member to stay with the client particularly if she is undergoing a the second-trimester procedure requiring|
induction of labor.
|The presence of a familiar person can help reduce client anxiety and promote relaxation and coping.|
You may also like the following posts and care plans:
- 1,000+ Nursing Care Plans List – the ultimate database of nursing care plans for different diseases and conditions! Get the complete list!
- What is a Nursing Care Plan? 9 Steps on How to Write a Care Plan – learn how to write an excellent care plan. We explain the concepts and walk you through the steps.
- Nursing Diagnosis: The Complete List – archive of different nursing diagnoses with their definition, related factors, goals and nursing interventions with rationale.
- The Ultimate Guide to Nursing Diagnosis – learn how to formulate nursing diagnoses correctly in this easy-to-follow guide!
Maternal and Newborn Care Plans
Nursing care plans related to the care of the pregnant mother and her infant. See care plans for maternity and obstetric nursing:
- Abruptio Placenta| 3 Care Plan
- Cesarean Birth | 10 Care Plans
- Cleft Palate and Cleft Lip | 6 Care Plans
- Dysfunctional Labor (Dystocia) | 4 Care Plans
- Elective Termination | 6 Care Plans
- Gestational Diabetes Mellitus | 4 Care Plans
- Hyperbilirubinemia | 4 Care Plans
- Labor Stages, Induced and Augmented Labor | 36 Care Plans
- Neonatal Sepsis | 5 Care Plans
- Perinatal Loss | 5 Care Plans
- Placenta Previa | 3 Care Plans
- Postpartum Hemorrhage | 8 Care Plans
- Postpartum Thrombophlebitis | 4 Care Plans
- Prenatal Hemorrhage | 7 Care Plans
- Prenatal Substance Dependence/Abuse | 6 Care Plans
- Precipitous Labor | 3 Care Plans
- Pregnancy Induced Hypertension | 6 Care Plans
- Premature Dilation of the Cervix | 3 Care Plans
- Prenatal Infection | 3 Care Plans
- Preterm Labor | 6 Care Plans
- Puerperal Infection | 4 Care Plans
Recommended books and resources:
- Nursing Care Plans: Diagnoses, Interventions, and Outcomes
- Nurse's Pocket Guide: Diagnoses, Prioritized Interventions and Rationales
- Nursing Diagnoses 2015-17: Definitions and Classification
- Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders (DSM-V-TR)
- Manual of Psychiatric Nursing Care Planning
- Maternal Newborn Nursing Care Plans
- Delmar's Maternal-Infant Nursing Care Plans, 2nd Edition
- Maternal Newborn Nursing Care Plans